Tommee Tippee, an international baby products manufacturer, is under a bit of fire after a handful of parents reported finding mold within the depths of their children's sippy cups. One mom, Penny Powell, posted several photos to Facebook of different cups, all with mold building up in a section that's meant to hold the mouthpiece together.
"My friend wondered why his son was still sick so he broke open the anti-spill guard of his Tommee Tippee glass and discovered mold inside the anti-spill top that you can't see except if you break it open. . . . He has washed it with his hands and in the dishwasher and the mildew has stayed anyway," Powell wrote in her post.
The photos within the post are enough to make any person gag, let alone a parent who watches their child drink out of these cups, or similar ones, every single day. However, though several parents have left their own photos of moldy pieces on Tommee Tippee's Facebook page, there are a number of customers countering, saying that their child's cups have been easy to clean and that there has been no evidence of mold.
Tommee Tippee France addressed the issue on its page:
We are always very attentive to your feedback, comments, ideas and the way in which the parents use our products and their children the experience. . . . We understand that the well-being of your children is of paramount importance, and we assure you that we have tested the valves of our cups, and the results have clearly confirmed that when the instructions for use and cleaning are followed, all works correctly. In addition to our instructions for use of cups, we have prepared a list of FAQ to help you to clean your cups and their valves.
Additionally, the company recommends the cups only be used with cold fluids — including water and non-pulp juices — rather than thick or warm liquids, such as milk or pulpy juices.
Though the brand seems to be doing what it can to get the issue under control, it may be a good move to check your child's sippy cups — regardless of the brand — to make sure that mold isn't building up in any of the pieces.