- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1 tablespoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bags (approximately) shredded mozzarella
- Lots of grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on high. When hot, add onion and garlic and heat on medium. When starting to brown, add ground beef and sausage. When all is well browned, drain liquid and transfer to a large pot. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Season with basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours to reduce and thicken sauce, stirring occasionally.
- Fill another large pot with water. Add drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bring to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, egg, Italian parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and approximately 1 cup grated Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles so that they slightly overlap and cover the baking dish lengthwise. Spread with one half of the ricotta/Parmesan mixture.
- Cover it all with shredded mozzarella. And then, repeat the layers starting with the meat sauce. When you've finished, and the top layer is mozzarella cheese, sprinkle the whole top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil to prevent sticking. Make sure to spray the foil with cooking spray, or make sure foil doesn't touch the cheese.
- Place your lasagna in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until the top of the cheese is slightly browned.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Pasta, Main Dishes