With the Australian Senate having passed the same-sex marriage bill at the end of November — 43 voted yes, 12 voted no — all that stood between Australia and marriage equality was the nod from the House of Representatives. The bill was presented on Monday morning and amendments to it debated in the House of Representatives on Thursday. The final amendment was voted down 63-79, resulting in the official legalization of same-sex marriage in Australia.
In celebration of the decision — we did it, Australia! — take a look at some of our most-read LGBTQ+-focused stories from the past few weeks.
- The One Video We Can't Stop Watching After the SSM Yes Result
- What It's Like Being a "Femme" Lesbian
- What It Means to "Dead-Name" a Transgender Person, and Why You Should Stop
- During the SSM Survey Result Celebrations, One Man Proposes
- We Love How This Couple Wore "Bride" Converse Sneakers Under Their Wedding Gowns
- Emotions Run High as Australia Celebrates the SSM Vote Results