While people may not be able to easily detect its presence by spying a spill or simply smelling, pets can easily sniff it out. Antifreeze has a very good, sweet taste to pets and, if they spot it, they'll likely quickly lick it up. Even small doses of antifreeze can be lethal so be careful of any spills, and store bottles far out of any pet's grasp. Some types of antifreeze use propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol – propylene glycol is found in many lotions and toothpastes and is less toxic to pets than the former. However, less toxic does not make it safe so, even if you stock this product, take the same precautions as you would for any dangerous chemical!

If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, bring him to the doctor immediately. Vets can perform a variety of tests for this liquid – if a pet has ingested ethylene glycol, they can shine a special light on the animal's muzzle and paws . . . the ethylene makes the affected hair glow under this florescent light and speeds up the diagnosis process.