Skip Nav
9 Life Lessons Most People Wish They'd Learned Earlier
44 Quote Tattoos That Will Change Your Life
These 37 Small Quote Tattoos Will Help You Follow BIG Dreams

250,000 Couples Will Receive Stimulus Checks

When rebate checks were distributed to Americans this Summer the IRS only cut checks to citizens whose names and social security numbers matched. The IRS recently announced they would be issuing overdue checks to 250,000 couples that qualified for the stimulus but were overlooked because of mismatched names and social security numbers.

If one person decides to change their name after marriage, the change should be reported to the Social Security Administration so their social security number matches the new legal name. Some couples fail to take this step, and this time the oversight meant they missed out on stimulus checks from the government. Going forward, make sure you're accounted for appropriately by following my checklist for changing your name.


Join The Conversation
el123 el123 8 years
I have the opposite problem--I live in the Virgin Islands and I got married in 07, changed my name on my drivers license a few months ago, we filed as a couple. my husband says I have to go to the SS office and get a new card, with my married name before the IRS will release the stim. ck---is this correct? it seems that my name on my tax forms and my SS# match, so why can't I get my check, according to this article I should be able to, right? I have not seen the tax returns.
hippiecowgirl hippiecowgirl 8 years
You just solved my problem! I never received my stimulus check. We got married in March, but I filed my 07 taxes in my maiden name AFTER my SS card had been changed. I've been trying to contact the IRS via their stimulus hotline, but the wait times are hours long. Maybe I'll be in that bunch, even though I filed as an individual. I was under the same impression as syako so I changed my SS info first. I don't think I had to show that card to anyone to change anything, not even my driver's license. Most places just wanted a copy of the marriage license.
Colleeninator Colleeninator 8 years
It depends on what state you're in. In Texas (where I live) you can do pretty much anything with your married name if you present your marriage license and an ID with your maiden name. New driver's license, new bank accounts, you name it.
valancyjane valancyjane 8 years
I know a woman who did this - she "changed" her name and got a new license but didn't file with Social Security. It didn't make any sense to me - I can understand still using your maiden name at work or something, but when it comes to changing it in a legal sense, it seems to me you go whole hog or go home. She was an odd duck, though, so it probably made sense in her mind somehow.
Liss1 Liss1 8 years
When i got married, before i could change my name on my license or anywhere else i had to change it with the social security office first. I wonder if that is not what every state does if some people haven't updated with SS already.
ilanac13 ilanac13 8 years
it's funny - i'm getting married next year and my sister-in-law keeps telling me about everything that i have to do to ensure that i change my name properly and all that.
JaimeLeah526 JaimeLeah526 8 years
It's sad that people don't know this. I'm glad they'll get their stimulus checks though.
syako syako 8 years
I was under the impression (and from my own personal experience) I had to change my name with SSN first before I could get anything else. How did these ladies do that? :shrug:
Good Things About Not Having Kids
Things Your Partner Should Never Ask You to Do
Samantha Bee on Child Marriage in the US
The Most Common Mistake Couples Make
From Our Partners
Latest Afforable DIY & Organization
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds