Skip Nav
Harry Potter
This Irish Brand's New Harry Potter Collection Is So Damn Magical and Affordable, I'm Crying
Budget Tips
Brides, Pay Attention: These Wedding Favors Cost Under $3
Martha Stewart
This Genius Hack Will Change How You Fold Your Fitted Sheets Forever

Ask Savvy: Who Should I File My Taxes Through?

This question was shared by member elisabeth in our Ask Savvy group.

I recently graduated and found my first job! Yes! But now that taxes are due soon and I was wondering which online site should I file them with? My taxes are pretty basic, so I am confident that I can do it myself and I don't need a real tax man. But there are so many options out there, my friends have suggested Turbotax. Any other recommendations, I want to make sure my rebate check is everything it should be!

Share your tips in comments, then submit your own career or finance question for me to answer while giving other readers the opportunity to weigh in. Ask away by posting your questions in the Ask Savvy group.

Join The Conversation
ShaynaLeah ShaynaLeah 7 years
I'm an accountant and I frequently recommend TurboTax as long as you don't have anything complicated - like your own business, strange inheritances, major sales of assets, international income, a divorce, etc.... then you need to find a good CPA!
StephMFundazu StephMFundazu 7 years
I'm an Accounting student in my last year of college, our tax class requires us to do individual taxes, and the program we use is TaxAct. TaxAct has a online site where you can e-file Federal for free and pay about $15 for the state. I would not suggest H&R Block because they aren't always up-to-date on the new tax laws and I have seen too many with big errors. Good idea to e-file, you should get your refund deposited in about 2-3 weeks.
sweetpeabrina sweetpeabrina 7 years
I use HR Block online. For my state it's free to file for federal taxes. The user interface is very friendly and it's very fast.
socalbeachgal socalbeachgal 7 years
I agree that you should file online, less likely to make an error since the program walks you through the return and you will get your money quicker especially if you get direct deposit. The Turbotax free program is the way to go if your tax returns are simple and it doesn't cost much more for the state filing. Good luck.
a1stbornunicorn a1stbornunicorn 7 years
Turbotax all the way. I've filed my taxes for free with them online for the past three years. They guide you through the process, save your info for easy reference in the following year, and guarantee a quick refund.
GlowingMoon GlowingMoon 7 years
Truthfully, I think doing taxes by hand is a bad idea. I've worked in accounting in a previous career, and knew of accountants that worked for the IRS during the tax season. When a person submits hard documents to the IRS, there is a IRS person who manually data entries that information into the IRS system. Data entry ERRORS occur. The errors affects the persons refund amount or tax liability. Yes, the person should have copies of what he or she has submitted, but trying to straighten that out with the IRS is a bureaucratic nightmare. I suggest filing online (if one is eligible). By filing online, the person's data entries are DIRECTLY ported into the IRS system. There is no extra middleman, and the room for error is less. JMHO. Also, if one files online and elects to accept the refund via electronic transfer, one would get the refund much faster. I filed and received my refund in my checking account in two weeks.
chloe-bella chloe-bella 7 years
I do mine online at I think it's only like $9, and it's nice to have them saved online to where I can access my previous years' returns any time. That way, if I need them for any reason, I don't have to go digging through boxes and files.
lilkimbo lilkimbo 7 years
I would do the free version of TurboTax. It's extremely user-friendly, particularly if your taxes will be simple this year.
supercoolnat supercoolnat 7 years
If your taxes really are that simple, you could just do them by hand, and only pay for mailing them in. If you go with an online service, check out this link to the IRS website for free e-filing options. Note that state returns may not be free with this service, so you may want to do that by hand.,,id=118986,00.html?portlet=8
Bee Tattoo For Manchester Attack
Spanish Lime Shortbread Cookie Recipe
IEP Meetings
What to Pack For a Beach Trip
From Our Partners
Latest Afforable DIY & Organization
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds