The average person consumes 1.3 pounds of honey per year in the United States. This sweet substance is perfect for flavoring your tea or baking and even has a history of medicinal use. When you catch a cold, tea and honey is your go-to drink. We've rounded up 17 ways to use honey that you may not know about (including a DIY honey mouthwash)!
1. Moisturize dry skin: Rub onto the dry area and let it sit for 30 minutes before washing off. This DIY honey heel scrub is also perfect for removing those post-Summer rough patches.
2. Repair damaged hair: Add a teaspoon of regular shampoo, or combine it with olive oil for a deeper conditioning treatment (let this soak in for 20 minutes with your hair wrapped in a towel before shampooing).
3. Soothing bath: Use two tablespoons of honey to one cup of hot water along with two to three drops of lavender essential oil.
4. Homemade facial: This DIY three-ingredient face mask uses ingredients you already have in your kitchen (lemons, avocados, and honey).
Related: 34 Clever Uses For Coffee Filters
5. Thwart allergies: Consuming local raw honey will lessen your allergy attacks come springtime. The small amounts of pollen present in the honey helps your body build an immune response to the pollen.
6. Stress-free sleep: Having trouble sleeping at night? Dab a little bit of honey on your tongue before going to bed.
7. Mouthwash: If you hate the taste of store-bought mouthwash, make your own! This honey mint flavor is refreshing and leaves your mouth feeling clean.
8. Treat eczema: Next time you get the urge to scratch the spot, mix equal parts honey and cinnamon and apply it to the itchy area.
9. Boost immune system: You drink tea with honey for a cough or sore throat, so why not start earlier before you get sick? Since this naturally sweet product is good for your body, start your day off with a glass of warm water and one to two tablespoons of honey. For an extra health boost, add fresh lemon juice and a dash of cinnamon. This routine will keep the flu and common cold away.
10. Tame indigestion: Take one to two tablespoons of honey before heavy meals.
11. Make honey lemonade: It'll feel like Summer every day with this fresh and healthy drink.
12. Cure hangovers: Add two tablespoons of honey into a glass of water, and drink. It'll help eliminate the toxic compounds resulting from the metabolism of the alcohol.
Related: 7 Brilliant Uses For Beer
13. Use on cuts, burns, or bruises: Apply a thin layer to the spot. Honey is a natural antiseptic and will help your wounds heal faster!
14. Make chili honey butter: If you're tired of plain butter, this recipe packs a flavorful punch, and it's easy to make. This will be your go to condiment (sorry, ketchup).
15. Sugar substitute: For those who are trying to cut back on sugar, honey is the perfect alternative.
16. Honey lip balm: Sooth your chapped lips with this DIY rose petal lip balm. The honey in it makes it the perfect natural moisturizer.