Skip Nav
44 Quote Tattoos That Will Change Your Life
9 Life Lessons Most People Wish They'd Learned Earlier
These 37 Small Quote Tattoos Will Help You Follow BIG Dreams

You May Receive a Rebate Check if You Become Eligible Next Year

Didn't Get a Rebate Check This Year? There's Always Next Year

No, there aren't plans in motion for everyone to receive another check next year. But if you weren't eligible to receive a check this year and become eligible next year, you can claim the economic stimulus payment next year on your 2008 tax return.

How do you know if you're eligible? The IRS says rebate eligibility depends if "you have a valid Social Security Number (SSN), can't be claimed as a dependent on a tax return and have either an income tax liability or "qualifying income" of at least $3,000." It's also important to note that, "both people listed on a "married filing jointly" return must have valid SSNs to qualify for the payment — if only one has a valid SSN, neither can receive the payment."

If any of these circumstances fall outside of your current situation but change by next year, then remember to claim the payment on next year's tax return so that you can get your rebate.


Join The Conversation
shanimalcracker shanimalcracker 9 years
I just got my rebate check by direct deposit today! :)
Nyrina-Windu Nyrina-Windu 9 years
I love how you all are keeping us up to date with all of this. Thanks SavvySugar :) Because the IRS doesn't always enlighten us on a whole lot of things that they change or update.
aimeeb aimeeb 9 years
I better be getting mine!
CollegeGirl CollegeGirl 9 years
What about if you filed an extension and haven't sent in your taxes yet? Will you still get a check for this year once you file?
shanimalcracker shanimalcracker 9 years
Thank goodness I won't have to deal with this and think about it even more.
Smart-Living Smart-Living 9 years
KDwxgirl- That's something that you should take up with a tax professional.
GreenSkittlesGal GreenSkittlesGal 9 years
Savvy, you might want to mention that there is a maximum income limit too.
KDwxgirl KDwxgirl 9 years
Okay so - I was claimed as a dependent for 2007 (and therefore did not get a rebate) but for 2008 I will be married filing jointly. My soon-to-be-husband did get a rebate for 2007. Does that mean on our taxes next year we can claim the rebate that I did not get?
bellaressa bellaressa 9 years
Thanks for keeping us updated Savvy.
MindayH MindayH 9 years
thanks for the info. not getting one this year.
luvs2gossip luvs2gossip 9 years
Good to know!! The IRS sucks!
dollhouse1 dollhouse1 9 years
thats good to know :)
From Our Partners
Latest Afforable DIY & Organization
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds