Prepare the Materials
It's best to make terrariums with friends, because the materials you buy — the soil, gravel, and more — will most likely be available only in bulk. To make full use of all your materials and not let it go to waste, either plan to make dozens of terrarium gifts for friends or hold a terrarium party. That way, you won't have any leftover materials.
Here's what you need:
- Bag of tiny charcoal bits
- Bag of clean soil
- Bag of little pieces of gravel
- A variety of succulents, ground cover, moss, figurines, and other decorative plants and items.
- Small glass bowls or containers you can find in party supply, furniture, craft, or thrift stores.
- Scooper for the soil, gravel, and charcoal.
- Chopsticks or pencils
- Spray bottle with water.
Most of the materials can be bought at garden shops, succulent stores, party stores, and Lowe's. My friend even told me that they plucked a few plants from someone's yard (with permission of course!). We found a couple of glass bulbs at a party store for $2.25 and pricier hanging tea light holders at CB2 for about $4 each.
Remember, you're playing around with soil so you and your home might get a bit messy. Be sure to cover your tables with newspapers or some sort of protective cloth and wear old clothes.