7 Spring Scents and How They Affect Your Mood
Spring is a season filled with fresh flowers and budding scents, which is why we partnered with Method to share how those smells affect your mood.
You might not think your nose can be singularly responsible for an attitude adjustment, but a scent can instantly lift your spirits. And it's a quick and energizing way to up your energy levels too. Spring is a season when buds are popping during gentle showers, revealing the delicate scent of earthy growing grass. And many of those smells are big-time mood helpers, which makes them ones you need to surround yourself with now.
- Citrus: The bright scent of orange, lemon, grapefruit, or lime is so invigorating, also inducing squeaky-clean feelings, which is why they are smells often included in household cleaners. The scent of citrus also calms the nerves, leaving you feeling happy and relaxed.
- Lavender: Baby stems of lavender are just poking up around my yard, wafting a wonderful scent. And the smell of lavender reduces stress, anxiety, and depression, so the more you sniff, the better. It has even been proven to alleviate PMS! A smart tip for enveloping yourself in the scent? Pick up lavender-scented laundry detergent.
- Basil: Fresh herbs are always lovely, but basil is one that's so delicious in Spring. It's a light smell that evokes thoughts of warm Summer nights. And the scent is stimulating, focusing the mind while energizing.
- Cucumber: A smell that's so refreshing, cucumber is an instant lift when you're feeling down, transporting you to a sunny spot in your mind. Add a few slices to your water for a refreshing drink that also smells so good.
- Rosemary: Energizing and cleansing, a big whiff of rosemary quickly changes your attitude. You can grow your own at home to use for infusing your food with flavor while rubbing a bit behind your ears, or stock up on cleaning products that use rosemary as a base scent.
- Mint: Another herb that sprouts its happiness in Spring, mint elevates your mood, flipping your negativity into truly positive vibes. Mint is such a refreshing scent, which makes it a must have for days you're feeling down. Pick up a minty air freshener and spritz your space on dreary days.
- Apple: Biting into an apple in itself is an uplifting experience, but the scent can actually help reduce migraine pain — especially if it's a smell you like. So while you're nibbling, inhale deeply and you'll feel instantly better.
More From method
Feeling inspired? method has an array of soy scented candles that are sure to transform any room of the house, based on your mood. Bonus: they look as good as they smell. Shop the entire collection today.