Rumors of a new iPhone (perhaps named the 5S or 6?), an iOS 7 release date, and a next-gen iPad are circling the web ahead of Tuesday's Apple launch spectacular. In addition to a champagne gold-tinted iPhone, see the latest the tech rumor mill thinks the company will present at this Tuesday's event.
Apple typically hosts two special events: one during WWDC in June that's focused on the desktop/mobile operating systems and the Mac and another in the Fall for mobile hardware releases. In 2012, we met the iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini, and this week, we're expecting another big update to Apple's smartphone and tablet lines. What's certain is that the new devices will run iOS 7, the brighter, more beautiful mobile operating system Apple unveiled earlier this Summer.
All the murmurs beyond mobile are pure speculation. A wearable device that some media outlets are dubbing "the iWatch" has been rumored, but September may be too early a launch for the new tech. Wondering what's next for Apple? We've rounded up all the whispers from the iOS rumor mill so far.
- iPhone 5S? iPhone 6? — The name of Apple's next flagship is still up for debate, and so are all of the phone's rumored technical details. CNET reports the device may come in a glam "champagne gold" hardware model and Reuters seems to confirm the fact. Rene Ritchie of iMore provides the most believable mockup of the new golden iPhone 5S yet, but the hardware may be a much more subtle gold, as shown in the top image. MacRumors claims that the new iPhone 5S or 6 will have dual LED flash, and also believes that the phone will come in a 128GB option (the iPhone's largest storage capacity yet). The most curious rumor of all may be the new convex home button that could include a fingerprint sensor, according to VentureBeat. Sensors could be used to authenticate login or switch between multiple users. AuthenTec, which Apple acquired last year, is reportedly the company behind the technology.
- iPhone 5C — Photos of a plastic-backed iPhone surfaced in July, and, according to Business Insider, the new model is the "iPhone 5C," a more affordable offering that's suspected to be available in a variety of colors.
- A new Apple TV — It's been over a year since the Apple TV has received an update. Plus with shipment records spotted of a "set top box" being sent to Apple, we're ready to see something fresh for that little black box.
- iOS 7 launch date — Apple debuted a preview of a brighter, flatter mobile operating system in June. Expect to learn when users can upgrade to a new system — likely alongside the launch of a new iPhone — this week.
- iPad Mini-like iPad — The next full-sized iPad will look a lot like the slimmed down iPad Mini, says Wall Street Journal. The same film-based touch panel in the Mini could be used in the iPad.
- The iWatch — Apple filed for a curious patent in February that spurred rumors of a wearable device similar to a smartwatch. ReadWrite believes that the concept is very real, but a September launch may be too early for the device, which is apparently made of curved glass. Perhaps the company will offer a preview of the new tech, as it did with the Mac Pro in June, especially since Samsung announced its own smartwatch the Galaxy Gear already this month.