Fring is an easy to use peer to peer communications program that allows cell phone users to talk for free via WiFi, 3G or GPRS. You can IM and talk via your handset's internet connection to other mobile phones and services like Skype, Google Talk, MSN Messenger, SIP and Twitter - at no extra airtime cost. The main fring screen is a simple contact list that displays your contacts and their status. This list can include your Skype, MSN Messenger, Google Talk contacts, your fringster friends and if you want, people who are stored in your phone's contact list. This service is still fairly new so the audio quality isn't the greatest, but I'm sure this will improve with time. For more info and to download, click here.
Between fring and Eyejot, keeping in touch is becoming ridiculously cheap. To learn how to post your favorite sites to the Download of the Day group,
I know that this long list looks scary, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it'll be a snap the second time around.
- First of all, join the Download of the Day group
- Click "Create and Share!" on the left hand side
- Choose "Blog"
- Give your photo a Title
- Leave the category as "general"
- Change the channel to "technology and gadgets"
- Add keyword(s) (for example mine for this photo was "Download of the Day")
- Click on the "Add Image" link below the "body" box
- A popup window will happen - click on "Browse" to find your image on your computer
- Once you have the image chosen, click "Submit"
- The popup will show you your image, choose size: "normal" - if you want, you can give it a title (which will show up as a caption)
- Click "Insert" and the popup will go away
- Your "body" box will now have some text in it. Leave it as is. If you want to add some text before the picture telling me why you love the download, do it before the code that has appeared.
- Click Submit
So join the Download of the Day group and share information about all your favorite downloads! Yours just might end up on the geeksugar homepage!