The new iOS 10 operating system is packed full of fun features, including plenty for iMessage. The updates, announced at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), will make messaging feel a little bit like Facebook Messenger and Google's own anticipated Allo app.
- Links become more useful: Now when you drop in a link in iMessage, a full preview will show up with rich links. If it's a video, it'll even start to play. You can even share Apple Music links in the app, and you can listen without leaving iMessage.
- Emoji get bigger and better: Emoji will now appear three times bigger than usual. With Tap to Replace, you'll get a list of predictive emoji that could replace some of your text.
- Animations and bubble effects are now here: Want to make messaging fun again? With bubble effects, you can make certain texts appear bigger or smaller, at a slant, and more. If you're celebrating something like New Year's or a birthday, an animation will take over the entire screen.
- Send secret messages: With Invisible Ink, send a message or photo to your friend. To them, it'll appear fuzzy until they swipe on it to see what you wrote or drew.
- Draw anything: Similar to Snapchat or Facebook Photos, you can draw on a photo or video, add stickers, or include your heartbeat.
- Go ahead, put a sticker on it: With Stickers, you can send one as a text, put it on a photo, and even place it on top of a text bubble.
- Let someone know what you're thinking quickly: With Tapback, you can send your friend six preset answers to a question of theirs like a thumbs up, a heart, and a question mark.
- Apps for iMessage are now a possibility: You can now add certain apps to use just within iMessage, like JibJab.
Look at photos of the new iMessage ahead and get ready to maybe spend a little more time texting.