Apr 30 2015 - 3:30pm
- For the Thoroughbred pie :
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell 
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
3 tablespoons bourbon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs plus 1 yolk, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped
- For the bourbon whipped cream :
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the pie: Cover pie shell with plastic wrap and refrigerate 40 minutes, then freeze 20 minutes. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375°F. Line chilled pie shell with parchment paper, letting parchment hang over edges of dough. Top with pie weights and bake until surface of dough no longer looks wet, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Carefully remove parchment and weights, and sprinkle chocolate over bottom of hot crust. Let sit 5 minutes, then spread chocolate into even layer; set aside.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until butter is nutty brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Off heat, slowly stir in bourbon (mixture will bubble strongly) and let cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt in large bowl until combined. Add eggs, yolk, and vanilla, whisking until smooth. Slowly whisk in warm butter mixture until incorporated. Stir in walnuts and pour filling into chocolate-lined crust. Bake until filling is puffed and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack 4 hours. Serve with bourbon whipped cream. (Pie can be refrigerated, covered, for 2 days.)
- Make the bourbon whipped cream: Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, mix all ingredients together on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American
- 1 pie