For the shortcake:
2 3/4 cups (11 ounces) pastry or cake flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1 cup heavy cream, plus addition to brush on top
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling on top
For the strawberries:
2 pints fresh strawberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 teaspoons kirsch 
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Make the shortcake: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a half-sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat .
- Whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture, and cut it in using a pastry cutter (rubbing it in with your fingertips also works in a pinch). Keep working the butter into the dough until the pieces of butter are roughly pea sized. Add the cream, and gently fold it into the dough with a rubber spatula until it becomes a shaggy but relatively cohesive mass. Give the dough a few kneads with your hands (fewer than 10) so that it forms a rough ball.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead, forming a smooth ball. Do not overwork. Pat out the dough to a 3/4 inch thick disc. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out 6 to 7 circles. (Knead the scraps together, and reroll as needed.)
- Arrange the rounds on the prepped half-sheet pan; brush the tops with cream and sprinkle lightly with coarse sugar. Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, or until the cakes are golden and firm to the touch. Cook on a wire rack.
- Prep the strawberries: Meanwhile, rinse and stem the strawberries; cut each berry into thick slices. Whisk together the sugar, lemon juice, kirsch, and orange zest in a small mixing bowl. Add the strawberries, and gently toss to coat.
- To serve: Split each shortcake in half, and warm slightly. For each serving, place the bottom half of the shortcake on a dessert plate. Top the cake with a scoop of ice cream, and arrange strawberries over and around the ice cream, drizzling with the strawberry juices, and top with the remaining half of the cake. Add a dollop of whipped cream on the side of the plate.
- 6-7 servings