If you don't have a slow cooker, cook it in a soup pot over the stovetop at the lowest heat setting. Be sure to keep the lid on and check on it every half hour or so. If you're planning to leave the slow cooker unattended, make sure to follow the manufacturer's directions, and cook it on the low setting.
Try garnishing a bowl with crumbled tortilla chips, sliced avocado, chives, or cilantro for added flavor and texture.
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 12 ounces wheat ale
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, for garnish
- In a five- to six-quart slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, black beans, green chilies, chili powder, cumin. Place ground beef on top of vegetables. Pour in tomato sauce, wheat ale, and chicken broth.
- Cover, and cook on high for six hours (or on low for eight hours). Halfway through the cook time, mash up the ground beef into bite-size pieces. If you've left the slow cooker unattended, simply mash up the ground beef when you return home. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with shredded cheese.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- North American
- 4-6 servings
- Cook Time
- 8 hours 30 minutes