Skip Nav

Safety Pin

Location: Inner right ankle

The story: When I was 9 months old, I swallowed an open safety pin. My parents took me to the hospital because I wouldn't eat, and the doctors put an IV in my ankle (not in my arm, because a confused baby would rip that out). They thought that they would have to do surgery. Thankfully, they brainstormed a genius solution: they stuck a very strong magnet down my throat and used it to close the safety pin and pull it out. I always thought it was cool that the IV scar grew in proportion to my body, so I got the tattoo right above the scar.

— Nancy Einhart, executive editor

Read More Body CareTattoos