You don't have to be a student to get some good advice from one of the best film genres of all time: high school movies. Clueless's Cher Horowitz has plenty of wisdom to impart, and there's something to learn from every member of The Breakfast Club. Whether you're in school now or it's been years since you've picked up a mechanical pencil, you could certainly benefit from these 12 important lessons from The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Heathers, and more great high school films.
1. Cleverly craft a classy look.Source: Paramount Pictures
If there's one thing that Clueless taught me, it's that you should look as good up close as you do from across the classroom.
2. Be nice to everyone, because you never know who might grow up to be famous.Source: Universal Pictures
Even the guy with a bagel tucked in his pants (Sean "Spicoli" Penn) could win an Oscar some day.
3. Know that not everyone will be nice back.Source: Anchor Bay Entertainment
There is a slim chance not everyone will want to be your friend, and that's OK. You don't want to be friends with that sexy sociopath anyway, trust me.
4. Don't stay inside and mope about it.Source: American Zoetrope
Unless you're supertight with your siblings à la The Virgin Suicides, in which case who needs friends? Strike that — PLEASE LEAVE THE HOUSE.
5. Get out there! You might be surprised.Source: Summit Entertainment
People really just want to get to know you, you sly wallflower, you.
6. Go talk to somebody new.Source: Sony Pictures
If you're anything like Superbad's Seth and Evan, you could get unexpected results leading to pimp-like feelings.
7. I mean, don't "talk" to too many new people.Source: Sony Pictures
You get what I mean by "talk," right? Unless, like Olive, you have a closet full of corsets and scarlet letters.
8. Don't let rumors get you down.Source: The Criterion Collection
Just don't overreact Max Fischer style. Remain calm.
9. Turn to your friends for good advice.Source: Touchstone Pictures
More like 10 Things I Love About You.
10. Just be true to yourself and tell people how you really feel.Source: Miramax Films
Unless you're talking to Zack Siler, the coolest kid in school, in which case keep it together, girl.
11. But don't go overboard.Source: Paramount Pictures
You don't know these people that well yet, Crying Girl Who Doesn't Even Go to This School.
12. Because remember, you're actually pretty cool.Source: Universal Pictures
So put on your shades, dust your shoulders off, and flip up your collar (don't actually do that last part), and just be yourself. Hey, if Anthony Michael Hall can do it, so can you.