A homemade version of a restaurant favorite always feels like a win, between executing the dish, saving some coin, and enjoying your own awesome version of a new recipe. The beauty of this particular Nicoise salad is that it can be mostly made ahead, thereby coming together at a moment's notice after a long day or in the morning while packing lunch for work.
Nicoise salads pack protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and delicious flavor into one easy meal!
- For the salad:
- 2 large eggs
- 10 to 12 small string beans
- Handful of new or fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 8 kalamata olives
- 1/8 red onion
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 jar (6 to 7 ounces) tuna in olive oil
- 1 package spinach/arugula mix
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (found in most/all grocery stores)
- 1/2 shallot, finely diced
- Salt and pepper
For the salad:
- Set water to boil in a medium pot and gather eggs, string beans, and potatoes.
- Using a spoon or tongs, place eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove eggs and set in ice-water bath to prevent further cooking. Keep water boiling.
- Place potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool. Keep water boiling.
- Place string beans in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool. Discard water (cooked ingredients may be stored in the fridge for 24 hours).
- As above ingredients cook, assemble remaining items: remove seeds and core from bell pepper, cut 1/2 the pepper into thin strips, and cut strips in half. Thinly slice 1/8 red onion. Gather capers, dill, olives, tuna, and lettuce mix.
- Peel eggs and cut vertically (from pole to pole) into quarters.
- Place spinach/arugula mix into salad bowl, then layer in all ingredients. If making ahead, store covered and add dressing when ready to eat.
For the dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a resealable food storage container. Add lid and shake vigorously to emulsify/thoroughly incorporate all ingredients. Then, simply store dressing in container until salad is ready to eat.
- Salads, Main Dishes
- 2 to 3 servings
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes