Burn calories and build metabolism-boosting muscle by mixing cardio bursts into your strength training; this mashup workout does just that with a 1:1 ratio of cardio to strength training. The cardio portion is jumping rope, but don't worry, you won't have to do all those minutes back to back. The jumping is mixed with targeted strength-training moves. Don't have a jump rope? Fake it. Seriously, you might feel a little silly, but jumping in place for a minute is killer (and easier than dodging a rotating rope).
Check out the workout below, scroll down to learn the details of the strength-training moves, then print the chart, and get at it!
Directions: Perform each exercise for a minute. Do this workout twice through, taking a minute break between each 15-minute set if needed.
|3:00-4:00||Alternating curtsy lunge|
|4:00-5:00||Jump rope||Alternate legs for 5 single-leg hops|
|5:00-6:00||Single-leg toe touch||30 seconds each leg|
|6:00-7:00||Jump rope||Run while jumping|
|7:00-8:00||Push-up and rotate||Twist to a side plank between push-up reps|
|9:00-10:00||Chair squat||Keep legs together with arms overhead|
|11:00-12:00||Seated Russian twist||Put your feet down as needed|
|12:00-13:00||Jump rope||Alternate legs for 5 single-leg hops|
|13:00-14:00||Sumo squat with side bend||Hold the sumo with hands behind head and bring elbow to knee|
- From standing, jump softly into a wide squat. Push your knees open to deepen the inner-thigh stretch, holding the position for a moment.
- Push off your knees for extra leverage, and jump your legs together.
- Immediately jump your legs back out to a wide squat, and continue to repeat.
Alternating Curtsy Lunge
- Start from standing and step your left leg behind you and to the right so your thighs cross, bending both knees as if you were curtsying.
- Return to standing, and switch sides.
Single-Leg Toe Touch
- Stand on your left foot with your right knee up. Reach down to touch the floor with your right hand; extend your right leg behind you for balance.
- Press into the left heel to focus the work in your butt as you return to standing, bringing the knee up.
- Repeat for 30 seconds and then switch sides.
Push-Up and Rotate
- Begin in a plank position, and do a push-up.
- At the top of the push-up, reach the right hand toward the ceiling, rotating into a side plank on your left hand.
- Return to the center, perform another push-up, and rotate onto the right hand, reaching the left hand toward the ceiling.
- Begin in a narrow stance, and bend your knees, coming into a squat while reaching your arms overhead and keeping your chest up.
- Press into your heels to return to standing while lowering your arms.
Seated Russian Twist
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent, pull your abs to your spine, and lean back a few inches while lifting your feet off the floor. Be sure to keep your back straight.
- Reach your arms out in front of you, and twist your torso to the right, then to the left, repeating for one minute. Lower your heels to the ground if you need to.
Sumo Squat With Side Bend
- Start in a very wide stance and bend your knees until your thighs are parallel to the floor and your knees are just over your ankles. Place your hands behind your head, keeping your elbows wide.
- Bend to the right, bringing your right elbow toward your right knee. Maintain the squat, and side bend to the left.
- Continue alternating sides, while holding the squat.