This move opens up the chest while stretching posterior muscles and hip flexors.
- To begin, hold a barbell or two dumbbells in each hand with palms facing forward (or toward each other, if you are using dumbbells). Raise up your weights, so your arms are straight and the bar or weights are over your head.
- Take a controlled lunge (or large step) backward with your left foot.
- Lower your hips so that your right thigh (front leg) becomes parallel to the floor and your right knee is positioned directly over your ankle. Keep your left knee bent at a 90-degree angle and pointing toward the floor. Your left heel should be lifted.
- When your left knee is almost touching the floor, hold. Then, slowly push with your left foot to raise your pelvis up a bit, and then straighten your knees and return your left leg back to starting position next to your right leg.
- This completes one rep. Complete 10 reps before repeating the movement and the repetitions on your right side.