Even though we're in the middle of wedding season on the PopSugar Network, we can't forget the beginning of all lifelong or best-forgotten relationships: the first date. Trying to decide whether a perfect stranger is a potential mate can get stressful and tiresome. So I have eight tips to help make it all go as smooth as possible. Add yours in the comments!
- Wear your favorite go-to outfit, rather than trying out a new look. You'll feel more comfortable, and you might as well be yourself.
- Especially if you met the person online, follow these safety tips, including meeting in public and letting a friend know where you're going.
- Plan an outing that won't take all night. That way you can go home if you're not feeling it, or extend the fun if you are. You could just agree on drinks, perhaps at a place you know serves dinner, and opt to dine together if you don't want the night to end.
- Remember to ask a lot of questions if you're worried about keeping the conversation going. That trick, along with simple things like eye contact and a smile, will make a thoughtful first impression.
- Before you head out, think ahead about something funny that happened to you that day or recently. You can pull that story out if you're feeling nervous or come up against awkward silences. Plus, having a sense of humor is always a good thing!
- Consider ordering a festive cocktail when you get to the restaurant to cut the tension, but choose wine by the glass rather than a whole bottle during the meal. Or go for low-alcohol cocktails. You'll prevent any drinking-induced oversharing about the ex or other unfortunate topics.
- Don't forget that it's just a date, and the other person is likely just as nervous. Embrace the uncertainty and the butterflies in your stomach, because once you're paired up and retired from your first-date career, it's hard to find a feeling quite like it.
- Throw some mints in your bag, just in case you get that end-of-the-night kiss!