Cut drying time with these DIY wool laundry balls that also naturally soften your clothes. You'll love how you're saving on your energy bill and have fresh-smelling laundry. With a few basic materials and a bit of patience, you'll have cute laundry balls that last load after load. Personalize with your favorite scent, and you might actually look forward to doing the laundry.
What You'll Need:
- Wool yarn
- Old nylons
- Small bowl
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 10 to 20 drops lavender essential oil
- Start by unraveling around a six-foot length of wool yarn from the skein and folding it in half. Continuing folding until it's around two inches long. Wrap an end of the string around the center, and tie securely. This creates the center of the laundry ball.
- Now tie on the end of string from the skein, and start wrapping it around the folded center, turning the ball every few times round. Continue wrapping the ball until it's around three to four inches in diameter.
- Keep making balls until you have as many as you'd like. To finish the softening balls, press into an old nylon, and then secure tightly with a knot. Continue feeding the balls into the nylon and securing separately until you have a long length of knotted laundry balls.
- Toss the rounds into the washing machine with a load of laundry, and then in the dryer to finish. While they're washing, mix together the vinegar and essential oil in a small bowl. The vinegar helps soften clothes, while the essential oil leaves your laundry smelling awesome.
- Remove the balls from the nylon, and dip in the vinegar and essential oil. You don't want to soak the balls, just infuse the wool with the liquid. Let air dry, and then the laundry balls are ready to use. Simply toss a few in the dryer, and enjoy the shortened drying time and softening wonders.
Refresh the balls monthly with another quick soak in vinegar and essential oils, which will keep them leaving your clothes wonderfully soft.