Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson's Biggest Turn-On Will Surprise You
Fifty Shades of Grey is less than a week away from hitting theaters, and the film's stars, Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson, are preparing us with a sexy set of snaps. The duo appears on the cover of Glamour magazine's March issue, wrapping their arms around each other. In the accompanying interview, the costars chat with director Sam Taylor-Johnson and open up about what turns them on, which sex scenes made Jamie uncomfortable, and everything in between. When they weren't answering the tough questions, Jamie and Dakota touched on silly topics like whether he prefers boxers or briefs in a behind-the-scenes video. Read on for more of their spread and best quotes in the issue, available on newsstands across the world on Feb. 10, and be sure to check out all the times Jamie captivated you with his looks.
- Dakota on connecting with Anastasia: "I had read the books and was drawn to the character of Ana because she's private, loving, honest — and because she and Christian are both incredibly intelligent, confident, and can spar with each other on every level. I auditioned for two months. I met with Sam a bunch of times. So when I found out I had the part, I think I started crying. I was relieved the not-knowing was over."
- Sam on casting Dakota and Jamie: "Dakota was everything that I wanted in Anastasia. She has a strong sense of who she is, but at the same time there's a sweetness about her. It was tough to find Christian because, on the page, he's perfect. In real life there aren't so many people that tick all those boxes: to be able to be charismatic and charming, successful, wealthy, and devastatingly handsome."
- Jamie on eventually getting the role: "At first, I didn't audition. I made a tape in London with a casting director. I didn't hear anything until they cast Charlie [Hunnam]. I thought it was kind of funny to say that I'd auditioned to play Christian and failed miserably. Then whatever happened with [Charlie] happened, and the doors opened again."
- Dakota on preparing for sexy scenes: "Jamie and I actually shared a trainer. It was important to me that Ana's body look like that of an active college student. And I was going be naked, so I wanted to look good. I did a lot of working out and had more waxing than any woman should have!"
- Jamie on researching Christian's sexual desires: "In that six weeks before filming, my daughter was born. It was just an insane time. For research, one rainy Tuesday evening, I kissed the wife and baby good night and went to watch a dominant-submissive session in a dungeon. The dominant was our sort of adviser on the job. He'd be on hand anytime there was a scene in the Red Room [Christian's playroom for BDSM, bondage, discipline, sadism, and masochism], to say, 'You're doing that wrong.' So I watched him do his thing . . . It was quite jovial, a very different approach to how I saw Christian being in the Red Room. I think Christian takes it a bit more seriously."
- Jamie on filming potentially awkward scenes: "Some of the Red Room stuff was uncomfortable. There were times when Dakota was not wearing much, and I had to do stuff to her that I'd never choose to do to a woman."
- Dakota on how protective Jamie is: "It's stressful enough to be tied to a bed naked in a scene. But then they call cut, and you're still tied to the bed, naked. Jamie would be the first one to throw a blanket over me."
- Jamie on preparing for criticism: "I [already] get, 'Oh my God, you're Christian Grey!' [out in public]. And I say, 'No, I'm Jamie! I'm an actor.' When the film comes out, there will probably be more of that. I don't think you can prepare for that. You can't put up sandbags, get rations in. I just live my life."
- Dakota on her family seeing the movie: "My mom came up for a day [during filming]. She's proud of me. But I don't want my family to see [the movie], because it's inappropriate. Or my brothers's friends, who I grew up with. I think they'd be like, Blegh [mimics vomiting]. Also there's part of me that's like, I don't want anyone to see this movie. Just kidding."
- Jamie on what turns him on: "I've got a thing for great hands. My wife [Amelia Warner] has my favorite hands in the world. Being from Northern Ireland, I'm programmed to enjoy stories, so I find it sexy if a woman can tell a funny story. And I've always found attractive talking to someone who's achieved something that I couldn't."
- Dakota: "Like Jamie, I like good hands. Manly hands. I grew up in Colorado, and there are manly men there, so manliness is attractive to me. I think it's unsexy when a man chews with his mouth open or when a man is rude or wears fedoras. I hate fedoras. Oh God, I can find more things I hate about men than I like. I think it's just a phase!"