Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Slam Rumors They're Swingers: "People Don't Get Jokes"
It goes without saying that Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard have an utterly wonderful romance. Ever since they began dating in 2007, the couple has won hearts over with their "aw"-inducing moments and sweet comments about one another. Whether it be in interviews, magazines, or on social media, these two are constantly gushing about one another, further solidifying their status as one of Hollywood's cutest couples.
Part of their charm is their sense of humor, which has caused some misunderstandings over the years — namely, the misconception that they're swingers. "There was one [rumor] that said we hosted orgies or swingers parties," Shepard recounted on the Aug. 14 episode of his podcast, "Armchair Expert," for which Bell was his guest. "I know exactly where that came from," Bell responded. "It's because you frequently make key party jokes. We'll have a dinner party or something, and as we're sitting down, you'll say, 'Everybody leave your keys.'"
Shepard acknowledged that sometimes, he has to remind himself he and Bell have a unique sense of humor that goes over a lot of people's heads. "Some of them, I realize afterwards, 'Oh, we do not have the same sense of humor.' I was like, 'Hey, if you guys are ever in L.A. and you wanna swing,'" he said. Bell went on to add, "A lot of people don't get jokes. That's actually something I have been thinking about lately, because it's such a bummer that everything you say has to be taken so literally that there's no room for fun in expression or language anymore when you're telling a story, because you better have the facts right."
In honor Shepard and Bell's one-of-a-kind romance, we're looking back at the sweetest things Bell and Shepard have said about each other — keep reading to see what they've said.
Dax Shepard's Quotes About Kristen Bell
- On why their relationship works: "We have such different backgrounds, it's comical. Until I was 32, I thought the world was just wolves, that there was no way anyone was acting with any kind of benevolence. When I met her and her friends, I was suspicious of their unbridled happiness. I thought, 'Something stinks here; they're in a cult.' But slowly I began to see her positive way of looking at the world. She gives people the benefit of the doubt."
- On Bell giving birth the second time around: "It was more difficult. Kristen, God bless her, was in labor for 33 hours. She's like Wolverine: If you cut her, as the knife's going through, [the skin is] sealing."
- On how they got through his difficult struggle with substance abuse: "All the things I'd done were terrifying to her, and she had a hard time believing I would ever be able to stay married and monogamous and a father and all those things. For the first year and a half we were together, that was what we battled over almost weekly."
- On why they went to see a couples therapist: "There were hurdles, things she didn't trust about me, things I didn't trust about her. I just kept going back to 'This person has the thing I want, and I have to figure out how we can exist peacefully.' So we started [seeing a therapist together] right away."
Kristen Bell's Quotes About Dax Shepard
- On working through difficult times together: "Our relationship wasn't perfect. We had a couple years of fighting and of growing pains and hating each other, then loving each other and going to couples therapy and we worked it out. . . . We earned each other."
- On why their relationship works: "I thought I had this life thing down pat when I met Dax. I didn't realize that I needed a much bigger toolbox to have confrontations and disagreements with people."
- On all the work they've put into their relationship: "One thing I like to reiterate is that we've done a lot of work on our relationship. We're very focused on staying together. We've made a choice to love each other but realize relationships are a lot of work. I think it's responsible to be honest about that. We earned our relationship, which we're very proud of."
- On how Shepard helped her with her temper: "I used to have a temper. I loved slamming doors — I wanted a dramatic exit! But he, having worked through a variety of emotional issues to get sober, said, 'This isn't going to work. This isn't how I'm going to communicate for the rest of my life.' When someone doesn't fight back and goes, 'I don't want to do this,' that threat is real. It makes you reevaluate your behavior. The way Dax and I argue now — and we argue a lot; we disagree on almost everything! — is so healthy."
- On the greatest gift Shepard gave her: "Dax helped me learn that I don't have it all figured out. Sometimes that's the greatest gift someone can give you."
- On Shepard's difficult past: "He's a wonderful father. He knows the value of things. He was an addict for many, many years and he pulled himself out of it, and he's been sober for 11, 12 years now. He knows how many times he's messed up and how many times he's been really close to losing everything."
- On their low-key nuptials: "We got married in a tiny room in the Beverly Hills courthouse and it is still one of the best days of my life."