12 Intriguing Facts About Dua Lipa That Will Further Fuel Your Obsession
Dua Lipa first won us over with her 2017 hit "New Rules," and now we're slamming the replay button on her latest single: "One Kiss" with Calvin Harris. What better time to get even more familiar with the English singer-songwriter? Whether you're a new fan or you've been here since her 2015 debut, these fun facts about Dua will further fuel your obsession. Check them about ahead.
1. Her first name means "love" in Albanian.
Dua has stated that she disliked her name growing up but eventually grew to "enjoy" it, especially when it came time to pursue a career in the music industry because it made choosing a stage name easier.
2. Like most millennial artists, she started out doing YouTube covers.
Dua would upload videos of herself singing Christina Aguilera and Pink before making it big.
3. She is a fan of badass female musicians.
She credits Pink, Nelly Furtado, and Destiny's Child for influencing her artistry.
4. She has Bruno Mars's seal of approval.
The 22-year-old was tapped as a supporting act for select show dates on Bruno's 24K Magic World Tour. Not shabby for just one album under her belt.
5. She's already taking over the music scene.
6. She comes from a musical background.
Her father, Dukagjin Lipa, was a singer and is one of the reasons she took an interest in music. "I've always been really inspired by him and living in a really musical household," she told Glamour.
7. She's all about giving back.
In 2016, Dua and her father founded the Sunny Hill Foundation to donate to the citizens of Kosovo, the birthplace of her parents.
8. She was born in London, but she also lived in Kosovo for a few years.
At the age of 11, Dua moved with her family to Pristina, the capital of Kosovo. Although she left when she was 15 to pursue her music career, she told Teen Vogue that the country "has done so much for me," citing the talent and "sense of people wanting to better themselves."
9. She's currently off the market.
Sorry, guys. Dua is reportedly dating British chef Isaac Carew.
10. She attended the same school as the late singer Amy Winehouse.
Dua was once a student at the Sylvia Young Theatre School in London.
11. She has several tattoos.
The "Blow Your Mind" singer often uploads photos of her ink on Instagram, including a recent video of an intricate rose tattoo that garnered over 2 million views.
12. The craziest fan encounter she ever had is actually sweet.
"I was in the middle of Madrid and a fan comes up to me, and he goes, 'Oh, I got this tattoo because of you,' and he takes his top off, and he got the exact same angel tattoo which I have (an angel on my shoulder), and that was very, very sweet," she told NME.