Skip Nav

Vacuum Cleaner Burns Toddler

Mom's Important Warning After a Vacuum Gave Her Toddler Fourth Degree Burns

Although vacuum cleaners are common household appliances, one mom wants parents to realize just how dangerous they can be for little kids.

Jade Bishop warned others on Facebook after her 16-month-old son was left with fourth degree burns. Along with upsetting photos of the toddler's blistering hand, the mom from England explained how being an inquisitive toddler, her little one loves to follow her around when she's vacuuming the house.

"No big deal, he even pushes it and helps me occasionally, so I turn the vacuum off and turn my back to unplug it from the wall, I hear Theo turn it back on, and turn my head to hear him screaming," she wrote. "I yank the plug from the wall and he has managed to put his thumb in the bottom of the Dyson where the bristles spin at a crazy speed. I go to him quicker than I ever have to see he's got a nasty looking burn on his hand!"

After Theo was sent to the hospital to see burn specialists and plastic surgeons, his mom learned that his injury is worse than she initially realized. Not only does he have a severe burn, but possibly exposed tendons, which means he may need skin grafts as well as surgery to help prevent restricted movement as he grows.

"Please, please, please do not let your children near the vacuum cleaners! After talking with my nurse and her telling me just how common this kind of burn is, it makes you realize that: A) I'm not the world's worst mom . . . B) We are not the first and we won't be the last!" she wrote. "But making people aware of it could stop just one more tiny finger or thumb from ending up like this."

Latest Family