60 Questions to Ask Kids to Get to Know Them Better
If getting your kid to talk is like pulling teeth, you're not alone. Sometimes our kids, just like anyone else, need a little quiet time. But sometimes, the right question is the key to getting your little one to talk about their day — and we mean, really talk about it.
The trick is to think beyond the classic, "How was your day today?" The question often leads to a dead end — the dreaded, "Good." Instead, you can queue up some fun, compelling, thought-provoking questions to ask your kid that'll draw them out a little more. You might feel awkward at first (why didn't anyone tell us that we can sometimes feel awkward talking to our own flesh and blood?) but once the answers start to flow, you'll be happy you asked.
Of course, nothing can make you draw a blank quite like being tasked to think up meaningful, engaging, open-ended questions to ask your kid. Don't worry, though — we've got you covered. Read on for 60 questions to ask your kid in the car, at the dinner table, or when you simply need more than a one-word response.
Questions to Ask Kids About School
- What was the most interesting thing you learned?
- What was the funniest thing that happened today?
- What did you have for lunch and what was your favorite part?
- Did you do anything nice for someone?
- What is your favorite subject to learn?
- What challenged you? Did you get frustrated?
- If you had the chance to be the teacher tomorrow, what would you teach the class?
- What is your teacher's most important rule? Does everyone always follow it?
- When did you feel the proudest of yourself?
- Did anything upset you today?
Funny Questions to Ask Kids
- If you could have one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you could make a new rule in the house, what would it be?
- If you had a time machine, where would you go?
- If you could change your name, what would it be?
- What do you think is the most difficult job in the world? Why?
- If you went on a treasure hunt, what treasure would you want to find?
- If you could be someone else for the day, who would you be?
- Would you rather be a cat or a dog? Why?
- If you were famous, what would you be famous for?
- What is the worst chore? Why?
Questions to Ask Kids to Get to Know Them Better
- If you opened a store, what would you sell and why?
- When do you have the most fun?
- What is something you want to learn more about?
- What is your favorite food?
- What would you do with $1,000?
- How would you describe your family?
- What is your funniest memory?
- What holiday do you like the most and why?
- What is something you would like to learn?
- If we could do anything together for an entire day, what would you want to do?
Questions to Ask Kids In the Morning
- Did you have any dreams?
- What are you looking forward to today?
- What is one thing you want to accomplish today?
- What are you most excited for today?
- If you could have anything for breakfast, what would it be?
- What is something you want to learn today?
- If you could make anything for dinner tonight, what would it be?
- What is your goal for the week?
- Is anything making you nervous?
- What is something you want to improve upon from yesterday?
Questions To Ask Kids About Their Friends
- What are five things your friends would say you're really good at?
- What do you love about your friends?
- What qualities make some a good friend?
- What qualities make someone a bad friend?
- Do you and your friends have secrets?
- What do you like to do with your friends at school?
- Do you trust your friends?
- Which friends are you most like?
- Which friend makes you laugh the most?
- If you and your friends were to open a business, what would it be?
Questions to Ask Kids About the Future
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Who is your role model?
- What goals do you have for the next year?
- Where do you want to live when you grow up?
- What does your dream house look like?
- What are three skills you want to learn in the future?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world for your next birthday, where would you go and who would you bring?
- What are you most excited for about getting older?
- Do you want to get married?
- Do you want to have pets of your own one day? If so, what kind and how many?