Upgrade Your Bodyweight Routines With This Full-Body Workout Using Just a Step
If you haven't had access to fitness equipment and are bored with basic bodyweight moves, take it up a notch with this step workout from ACE- and NASM-certified personal trainer Beth Alexander. She told POPSUGAR, "It's a total-body workout that combines strength, cardio, and range-of-motion exercises using just your bodyweight and a step! It's the perfect feel-good workout that challenges your heart and your muscles from head to toe."
We love that you can do this workout indoors or outdoors — wherever you have one step. Alexander said to make sure to put on some music you love to motivate you. Find a step, and let's go!
Total-Body Step Workout
Equipment needed: one mini resistance band
Directions: After warming up with a brisk five-minute walk or going up and down a flight of stairs 12 to 15 times, complete each of the seven exercises below for 30 to 45 seconds, repeating on both sides as necessary. Rest for one to two minutes between sets, and complete two to three sets. Finish with a cooldown like this 10-minute stretching routine.
- Power knee step-up: 30 to 45 seconds on each side
- Toe tap: 30 to 45 seconds
- Step-up and squat: 30 to 45 seconds
- Twisting mountain climber to slide plank: 30 to 45 seconds
- Squat to hinge with leg elevated: 30 to 45 seconds on each side
- Lateral step-up plus hamstring curl: 30 to 45 seconds on each side
- Triceps dip to hip thrust: 30 to 45 seconds
Looking for more workouts from Alexander? Check out this mini-band workout.