The Ultimate HIIT Workout For Weight Loss — No Equipment Needed
Whether you're new to HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts, or you've been doing them for years, here's a basic bodyweight HIIT workout you can do anywhere. It proves that you don't need any equipment to get in an amazing, heart-pumping, strength-building workout!
This 20-minute HIIT workout involves 10 basic bodyweight moves, many of which are plyometric exercises. You'll alternate between 30 seconds of work and 30 seconds of rest. During those first 30 seconds, give it your all to really maximize the calorie-burning, belly-fat-melting effects of HIIT.
20-Minute Bodyweight HIIT Workout
Directions: Do each exercise below for 30 seconds, then take a 30-second rest after each move. The workout will take 10 minutes. Repeat for a total of two times, for a 20-minute workout. Want more? Repeat again for a 30-minute workout!
Push-up and rotate
Lateral bunny hops
Reverse lunge and hop
See below for descriptions of all 10 exercises.
- Begin in an athletic stance with feet shoulder-width apart and arms bent with hands at chest level. Bend knees and come into a full squat.
- Jump up as explosively as you can, reaching for the ceiling.
- When you land, lower back into the squat position to complete one rep.
- Do as many jump squats as you can for 30 seconds. Then rest for 30 seconds.
- Begin in a plank position. Jump your feet to the outside of your hands, coming into a deep squat and keeping your hands on the floor.
- Jump your feet back to a plank.
- Do as many frogger jumps as you can for 30 seconds. Then rest and breathe for 30 seconds.
- Skip in place by hopping on your right leg while bringing the left knee up toward your chest. Engage your abs as the knee comes toward your chest.
- Switch legs and keep skipping while pumping your arms.
- Skip for 30 seconds, then take a 30-second rest.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, and extend your arms straight out to either side with palms facing down.
- Jump and cross your right arm over your left and your right foot over your left. Jump your legs to the sides and open your arms, then cross with the opposite arm and foot.
- Continue for 30 seconds. Then rest for 30 seconds.
Push-Up and Rotate
- Begin in a plank position with your feet in line with your hips.
- Lower your body toward the floor, then push through your arms, returning to plank.
- Twist to the left, reaching your left arm to the ceiling without letting your pelvis rise or lower.
- Return to plank position, bringing your hand back to the floor. This completes one rep.
- Do as many push-ups as you can for 30 seconds. Then breathe through a 30-second rest.
Lateral Bunny Hop
- Make small jumps side to side as if you are jumping over an invisible line.
- Keep your legs as close together as possible, and swing your arms to help you jump.
- Do as many lateral hops as you can for 30 seconds. Rest for 30 seconds.
- Begin in a full plank. Lower your right elbow to the mat and then your left, coming into an elbow plank.
- Put your right hand on the mat, and straighten your right elbow. Do the same on the left to return to a full plank.
- Keep going for 30 seconds, then rest for 30 seconds.
Reverse Lunge and Hop
- Come into a lunge with your right leg back. Swing your right leg forward to hop up on your left foot, and land softly back in a lunge.
- Keep going for 15 seconds, switch legs, and do another 15 seconds. Then take a 30-second rest.
- Lying on your back, lift your legs and arms up so they are extended toward the ceiling. Lift your upper back off the floor, reaching your hands toward your feet.
- Lower your legs toward the floor while reaching your arms overhead, keeping your shoulders off the mat and lower back pressed into the ground.
- Repeat the crunch motion to complete one rep.
- Do as many reps as you can in 30 seconds. Rest for 30 seconds.
- Begin in the plank position, with your shoulders over your wrists, your body in one straight line, and your feet together.
- Like the motion of jumping jacks, jump your legs wide apart, and then back together to complete a rep. Jump as quickly as you want, but keep your pelvis steady and don't let your booty rise toward the ceiling.
- Do 30 seconds of plank jacks. Then rest enjoy a 30-second rest.