These Are the 5 Best Plank Variations If You're Trying to Lose Weight
If you want to tone your arms and abs, plank is one of the most effective moves. But aside from building muscle, if you want to lose weight, like that extra fluff around your belly, doing cardio will help burn calories. So try these cardio plank moves to maximize the calorie-burning effects of this basic must-do move.
- Begin in plank position with your feet together. Keep your upper body stable, and engage your abs.
- Begin doing jumping jacks with your legs. Hop them wide, then hop them together. This counts as one rep.
- Start in a traditional plank — shoulders over hands and weight in your toes.
- With your core engaged, bring your right knee forward under your chest, with the toes just off the ground. Return to your basic plank. Switch legs, bringing the left knee forward. This counts as one rep.
- Keep switching legs, and begin to pick up the pace until it feels a little like running in place in a plank position.
Plank to Pike Jump
- Begin in plank position with your feet together. Keep your upper body stable, and engage your abs. Don't let your lower back arch.
- Keep the weight in your hands as you draw your navel toward your spine.
- Use your abs to pull your hips directly up while keeping your legs straight, and jump your feet forward, landing in pike position.
- Jump your feet back to plank, keeping your core tight and stable. This counts as one rep.
- Begin in a plank position. Jump your feet to the outside of your hands, coming into a deep squat and keeping your hands on the floor.
- Jump your feet back to a plank. This counts as one rep.
Plank With Bunny Hop
- Begin in a plank position with the feet together.
- Pull your abs in, and jump your feet to the right, bringing your knees toward your right elbow. Your torso will twist to the right.
- Jump your feet back to plank to complete one rep.
- Repeat on the other side, and continue alternating sides for 20 reps total.