There are some things in life that aren't supposed to be messed with. One of those things is the BLT sandwich. This traditional combination of crunchy bacon, lettuce, and juicy tomatoes is perfect just the way it is. While you can serve the trio on fancy bread, I prefer to make them on toasted whole wheat, because that's the way my dad made BLTs when I was a girl. Same goes for the condiments: you could add mustard or aioli, but good-old jarred mayonnaise is fine.
The key to a good BLT is to use high-quality ingredients and to be generous with the bacon! To check out my method, keep reading.
- 8 slices of whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1 jar mayonnaise, for spreading
- 12 slices of thick-cut bacon, cooked in a microwave or in the oven
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 8 leaves lettuce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- On a clean work surface, arrange the toasted pieces of bread. Spread each one with a generous slather of mayonnaise. Top four pieces of bread with bacon. Next, top with lettuce, and then with the tomatoes. Season everything with salt and freshly ground pepper. Top each BLT with another slice of bread, mayonnaise-side down. Slice each sandwich in half, across the diagonal, and enjoy!
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American
- 4 sandwiches