8 Fun Facts That Will Make You Love Patti LaBelle (and Her Sweet Potato Pie) Even More
This is shaping up to be an exciting year for singer and cook-extraordinaire Patti LaBelle. Most recently, she just released a line of fruit cobblers at Walmart (which we'll be trying later today!). If you can't get enough of her mac and cheese and sweet potato pie, then allow these fun facts to fill you up. Warning: don't read on an empty stomach.
- In an interview with Rolling Stone, Patti said quite frankly, "I cook, I think, better than I sing. I cook my face off, honey."
- You may know how friggin' delicious Patti's "Over the Rainbow" mac and cheese is, but did you know that Elton John "swore he saw Jesus" when he ate it? Yep, she told that hilarious tale to Oprah Winfrey. And yes, yes, yes, Patti says she's developing a ready-made mac and cheese for Walmart.
- As a diabetic, Patti is working on a line of sugar-free desserts for her fans who need to watch their sugar intake. She told The Huffington Post that one dessert will be a sugar-free sweet potato pie.
- She's coming out with Desserts LaBelle: Soulful Sweets to Sing About ($28) in April 2017, which will include recipes for pies, cakes, cookies, and puddings, as well as a chapter on diabetic-friendly desserts.
- After YouTuber James Wright's viral review of Patti's sweet potato pie, Patti invited him to spend Thanksgiving with her!
- While she has a few of her recipes on her website, the Cooking Channel has a host of her most famous recipes including that sweet potato pie.
- She's not big on measuring for a reason. She told Essence, "Improvise; don't always measure. You can lose some of the soul [when you measure]. When I do my food, I never measure. I freestyle and pray it's going to taste good." But people, don't attempt when baking!
- She cooks even when she's touring. She explained to Tampa Bay, "I always carry my electric fry pan and I have two major pots." Sautéed kale and fish as well as salad are her go-tos.