Here's Everything You Need to Know About the Austin Bombings

In the last month, a number of package bombs exploded in Austin, TX, killing two and injuring five more, and now, a suspect — who has been identified as 24-year-old Mark Anthony Conditt — is dead. Authorities say Conditt was killed on Wednesday, March 21, when he detonated a bomb in his car as SWAT members approached the vehicle. Here's what you need to know about the incidents and the suspect authorities have spent weeks hunting for.

6 Packages — Not All Related to the Serial Bombing Streak — Exploded in the Last 4 Weeks

The first bomb was delivered on March 2 to the Austin home of 39-year-old Stephan House, who died from his injuries. The second explosion took place on March 12 and was also delivered in a package, this time to the home of 17-year-old Draylen Mason. The bomb reportedly exploded in the teen's kitchen, killing the boy and seriously injuring his mother.

Just five hours after the explosion at Mason's home, a bomb arrived at the home of 75-year-old Esperanza Morena Herrera, who was severely injured — authorities say she may have mistakenly picked up a package intended for someone else. On March 18, two white men in their 20s set off an explosion, which authorities say was caused by a tripwire placed on a residential street. One man was riding his bike and the other was walking on the sidewalk when they tripped the wire. Both men are being treated for injuries.

On Tuesday, March 20, shortly after midnight, a bomb that had been shipped from San Antonio and addressed to Austin exploded in a FedEx distribution center roughly 60 miles from the city, injuring a FedEx employee. Another bomb was found later that morning in the same distribution center but was successfully cleared from the facility.

Hours later, another bomb was detected in a FedEx sorting center, this time near Austin. The package was also cleared from the location. A package was delivered to a Goodwill store that same evening, setting off an explosion and injuring one person. Police said the package had an incendiary device inside, not a bomb, and that they do not believe the incident is related to the serial package bombings.

A Suspect Has Been Identified

On Wednesday March 21, police and SWAT members were zeroing in on Conditt, who was parked on the side of Interstate 35 in Round Rock, TX. The town lies about 20 miles north of Austin. That's when authorities say he detonated a bomb, killing himself and injuring an officer who was approaching the vehicle. Though police suspect Conditt is responsible for the string of Austin explosions, they are still investigating to find out whether Conditt worked alone — and whether he left any bombs behind.

Authorities Said the Serial Bomber Displayed a "Higher Level of Sophistication"

While the first three explosions were delivered to residential homes, the fourth explosion involved a tripwire, which put Austin residents even more on edge. While investigators aren't sure how long the bomb was there before exploding, they believe the tripwire explosion showed the bomber had a level of bomb-making expertise. "It's more sophisticated, it's not targeted to individuals," special agent Christopher Combs told NBC. He added that the tripwire was especially concerning: "A child could be walking down a sidewalk and hit something."

This story was updated at 10 a.m. PT on March 21 to reflect new developments.