If your iPhone is like another appendage, then you undoubtedly have apps to organize just about every aspect of your life: calendars, to-do lists, restaurant locators, pedometers, and diet monitors, to name a few. And these days, busy pets are just as lucky. We've rounded up our favorite free iPhone apps for safe and savvy pets and their companions, from medical references to dog-park finders to squeaky toys.
- askPETMD: This new app has just about every vet-related resource you need. You can look up any kind of ailments your pet might have, get advice from a vet right in the app, find the nearest vet, and save your pet's information. It's basically an all-in-one app for medical resources.
- ResQwalk: By using this app, all your distance-related activity will translate into money and products donated to various pet-related organizations.
- Map My Dog Walk: You and Fido conquered an awesome hike last Fall, but a few months later, it's tough to remember the route. This app allows you to log your walk routes, share them with friends, and even calculate calories burned!
- Remind My Pet: For any pets on medication, this app keeps track of dosing schedules and emails or texts you when they are due for their next one.
- PetVet: No one can provide a proper diagnosis like a trained veterinarian, but if your pet is acting strangely and you're wondering if it's life-threatening, consult Petside's PetVet. A WebMD-like interface for your pets, this app lets you choose your pet's symptoms and offers possible conditions for your vet to investigate.
- Cat Toy: Keep Fluffy occupied with four games: a creepy, crawly spider that multiplies when pawed, a fluttery butterfly, a squeaky mouse, and a vibrating laser pointer. Just make sure she gives your phone back!
- Dog Goes: This dog-park finder allows you to search for dog-friendly outdoor venues by your location, by state, or by zip code. The app provides detailed information about each location (on- or off-leash areas, hours, fees) and includes a database of reviews. Pay $2 for the full version and get 2,500 more parks and 12,000 dog-friendly businesses.