15 Surprising Uses For Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol, or isopropyl alcohol, is a liquid made for topical application and known for its cleaning and disinfecting properties. Made from a mixture of denatured alcohol, water, and other agents, rubbing alcohol has so many uses other than cleaning out cuts.
- Clean mirrors: Thanks to its quick evaporation, using rubbing alcohol as a mirror cleaner is so smart.
- Clean dry erase boards: Rubbing alcohol cuts through all that marker buildup on your whiteboard. Pour a little on a paper towel, and wipe.
- Natural degreaser: Along with being a great disinfectant, rubbing alcohol is tough on oil, so it breaks through gunk. Dampen a paper towel with rubbing alcohol, and use it for wiping greasy spots.
- Homemade ice pack: Because rubbing alcohol doesn't freeze, mix two parts water with one part rubbing alcohol in a zip-top bag and toss it in the freezer for a nice cooling pack.
- Homemade deodorant: DIY deodorant by pouring rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle with a few drops of essential oil, and then spritz your underarms. Just avoid spraying right after shaving (ouch!).
- Stain remover: Rubbing alcohol does an amazing job on stains, and when mixed with other ingredients, it makes an amazing spot remover.
- Sterilizer: Due to its high alcohol content, rubbing alcohol is a safe sterilizer, perfect to use on tweezers or scissors.
- Hand sanitizer: In a pinch, reach for rubbing alcohol when your hands need a quick cleaning. Just avoid overusing, as rubbing alcohol is very drying.
- Treat bug bites: Take the itch out of bug bites by dabbing them with rubbing alcohol, which evaporates fast, leaving a cooling sensation.
- Get rid of scuff marks: If your floor is covered with scuff marks, dab a bit of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and rub over marks. They'll lift right up.
- Stainless steel cleaner: Lift fingerprints off your stainless steel appliances and water spots off bathroom fixtures with a quick wipe of rubbing alcohol.
- Remove sticky residue: That sticky residue left after removing stickers or labels? Dampen a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and rub to watch it go away.
- Get rid of shoe odor: Fix your smelly sneakers by spritzing them with rubbing alcohol. It helps lift the smell and refreshes shoes.
- Keep windows frost free: Because rubbing alcohol doesn't freeze, it helps precent frost or ice from forming on widows. Spray over your windshield during the cold months for a quick deicing.
- DIY room spray: Rubbing alcohol makes an amazing room deodorizer when mixed with essential oils. Pour into a small spray bottle and add 10 to 20 drops of your favorite scent to use for refreshing your space. And you can use it as perfume too!