Lost Your Passport? Keep Calm — You Can Still Go On That Trip 2 Weeks Away

POPSUGAR Photography | Diggy Lloyd
POPSUGAR Photography | Diggy Lloyd

So you're freaking out because you've lost your passport and you're traveling outside of the country soon. Oh wait, no, that's just me because my boyfriend can't find his passport three weeks before our trip to Mexico! In case you're also missing a lost or stolen passport, I'm here to help you figure out everything you need to know about replacing it ASAP.

Step 1: Report your lost or stolen passport.

Just in case anyone uses your identity to flee the country, submit an online report, print and mail a DS-64 form to the provided address, or call the toll-free number 1-877-487-2778.

Step 2: If you're in the US and traveling in two weeks or less . . .

Make an appointment at a passport agency near you. You'll have to prove that your travel date is past the window frame for normal processing and pay an additional $60 expedite fee.

If you're in the US and not traveling within two weeks . . .

Make an appointment at a passport acceptance facility (usually your local post office). Some places accept walk-ins, but double check beforehand.

If you're outside the US . . .

Contact a US embassy near you.

Step 3: Apply for a passport replacement in person.

The downside is that renewing and replacing a passport is like applying for the first time. You'll need to pay the same $135 fee, print and fill out the DS-11 form, and submit all required documents (below). You'll also have to pay the $60 expedite fee to receive your passport in the mail within two to three weeks vs. the standard six to eight weeks. If you want to play it safe, pay an additional $15 for overnight delivery.

Alternative to going in person

If you really can't take time out of work during the week but you're fine with paying almost double, consider using RushMyPassport.com. It's a registered and trusted service listed on the DMV website, but it is not affiliated with the US government. You have the convenience of submitting your information online, but you'll have to pay starting from $109 (for standard 10 to 12 business-day shipping) plus an additional $170 government fee.

What you'll need to bring to your appointment

  • Evidence of US citizenship (ex: birth certificate, certificate of citizenship)
  • Black-and-white, single-sided photocopy of your proof of citizenship on white 8.5"x11" paper
  • Photo ID (ex: driver's license, military ID)
  • Front-and-back photocopy of your ID on white 8.5"x11" paper
  • 2x2-inch photo that meets the requirements
  • Completed DS-11 form
  • Paid fees