Though the recipe calls for English hothouse cucumbers, I swapped in the smaller Persian cucumbers, which still tasted very good. Slice the cucumbers very thin with a mandoline if you have one or a sharp chef's knife, which is what I used.
- 2 English hothouse cucumbers (1 1/2 pounds total), unpeeled, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place cucumber slices in colander. Sprinkle with salt; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, stir vinegar, dill, sugar, and pepper in large bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Drain cucumbers well; pat dry. Add cucumbers to dressing and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours; serve cold.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Vegetables, Salads