The long wait is over — thank goodness! — and berries and stone fruit are returning to supermarket shelves (at absurdly low prices to boot). A textured Winter fruit salad has kept me going the past few months, but now I'm putting that recipe aside for this Spring- and Summer-forward fruit salad featuring all-new produce.
It's impossible to pinpoint what I love most about this combination of flavors. Sure, any old day you can combine a bunch of berries in a bowl, but here, mint, nutty Marcona almonds, and lemon zest and juice transform this into a fruit salad worthy of serving on a special occasion. The addition of sugar enhances the flavors in the fruit as well as releases more juices so the whole salad is marinated in a berry syrup.
Depending on what's available, add in other Spring or Summer produce to the salad like blackberries, cherries, grapefruit, kumquats, peaches, plums, or pluots.
- 3-4 apricots, pitted and sliced
- 1 (6-ounce) container blueberries
- 1 (6-ounce) container raspberries
- 6 ounces strawberries, quartered
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves only
- 3/4 cup Marcona almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients together. Serve immediately.
- Salads, Fruit, Breakfast/Brunch
- Serves 4 to 6