Sorry, Christian Grey, but long before you spanked your way into the erotic novel scene, our hearts (and nether regions) first belonged to Scottish dreamboat Jamie Fraser. And fans of the time-traveling historical romance Outlander series are prepping themselves for some shameless kilt-dropping moments between Jamie and his "Sassenach" Claire Randall when the new Starz show airs Aug. 9. While we eagerly await the first book to take to our screens, let's review the sexiest scenes we have to look forward to with these 12 excerpts . . . (NSFW for obvious reasons and minor spoilers for the first Outlander book.)
1. "And I mean to hear ye groan like that again. And to moan and sob, even though you dinna wish to, for ye canna help it. I mean to make you sigh as though your heart would break, and scream with the wanting, and at last to cry out in my arms, and I shall know that I've served ye well."
2. "Aye, we're married, right enough. But it's no legally binding, ye know, until it's been consummated." A slow fierce blush burned its way up from the lacy jabot.
3. As yet too hungry and too clumsy for tenderness, still he made love with a sort of unflagging joy that made me think that male virginity might be a highly underrated commodity.
4. His extreme gentleness was in no way tentative; rather it was a promise of power known and held in leash; a challenge and a provocation the more remarkable for its lack of demand. I am yours, it said. And if you will have me, then . . .
5. "You're mine, mo duinne," he said softly, pressing himself into my depths. "Mine alone, now and forever. Mine, whether ye will it or no." I pulled against his grip, and sucked in my breath with a faint "ah" as he pressed even deeper. "Aye, I mean to use ye hard, my Sassenach," he whispered. "I want to own you, to possess you, body and soul."
6. "Does it ever stop? The wanting you?"
"Even when I've just left ye, I want you so much my chest feels tight and my fingers ache with wanting to touch ye again."
7. "I didna say I wanted an apology, did I? If I recall aright, what I said was 'Bite me again.' "
8. "Even better," his voice was a hot murmur in my ear, "when I come to ya fierce and wanting, and ye whimper under me, and struggle as though you wanted to get away, and I know it's only that you're struggling to come closer, and I'm fighting the same fight."
9. "Where did you learn to kiss like that?" I said, a little breathless. He grinned and pulled me close again.
"I said I was a virgin, not a monk."
10. "If I were a horse, I'd let him ride me anywhere."
11. "I want to hold you hard to me and kiss you, and never let you go. I want to take you to my bed and use you like a whore, 'til I forget that I exist. And I want to put my head in your lap and weep like a child."
12. He felt me wake, and drew me close, as though to preserve a moment longer the union we had reached in those last seconds of our perilous joining. I curled beside him, putting my arms around him. He opened his eyes then and sighed, the long mouth curling in a faint smile as his glance met mine. I raised my brows in silent question. "Oh, aye, Sassenach," he answered a bit ruefully. "I am your master … and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own."