22 Iconic Tom Hanks Roles You Can Re-Create on Halloween Night
Over the years, Tom Hanks has portrayed some pretty memorable characters, from a teen in a grown man's body to a castaway on a deserted island. With iconic roles like Forrest Gump and Woody, it seems like the actor's résumé is just bursting with incredible costume ideas. So if you're looking for inspiration this Halloween, we definitely suggest channeling one of his many personas. We've rounded up the best of the best here to help you have an incredible Oct. 31.
Woody, Toy Story
- What to wear: Cowboy boots, blue jeans, a big gold belt buckle, a yellow plaid shirt with a cowhide vest, and a cowboy hat. Don't forget to write Andy's name under your shoe.
- How to act: Like everyone's favorite sheriff. Throw your signature lines into conversations, and if anyone says, "Andy's coming!" fall to the floor.
Chuck Noland, Cast Away
- What to wear: Think Tarzan but with slightly longer hair and a beard. Don't forget to carry around a volleyball.
- How to act: Scream out "Wilsonnnn!" at random moments.
Joe, Joe Versus the Volcano
- What to wear: A black tux, a matching bow tie, and a lei.
- How to act: Like you're constantly on hot lava.
Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
- What to wear: A white baseball uniform, a red cap, and matching socks.
- How to act: Don't take anything too seriously.
Captain Miller, Saving Private Ryan
- What to wear: An army uniform and a helmet.
- How to act: Dedicated. Don't give up on your mission at any cost.
Sam Baldwin, Sleepless in Seattle
- What to wear: A casual button-down, jeans, brown loafers, and a khaki trench coat. Carry around a stuffed bear.
- How to act: Heartbroken and a little misguided.
Conductor, The Polar Express
- What to wear: A conductor's uniform and a gold pocket watch. Don't forget a fake mustache.
- How to act: Somewhat mysterious but incredibly wise.
Joe Fox, You've Got Mail
- What to wear: A brown suit, a gray button-down, a blue tie, and a briefcase.
- How to act: You're pretty cocky on the outside, but inside you're a total softy. Refer to women as shopgirl.
Forrest Gump, Forrest Gump
- What to wear: A blue and white gingham shirt, khaki pants, a matching blazer, white sneakers, and red socks.
- How to act: Fairly naive. Talk about your mom a lot.
Carl Hanratty, Catch Me If You Can
- What to wear: A black fedora, matching black Ray-Ban glasses, a black suit, a white button-down, and a tie.
- How to act: Find someone to catch, and chase them around all night.
Captain Richard Phillips, Captain Phillips
- What to wear: Circular glasses, a blue polo, and khaki pants. Draw on some scruff for extra effect.
- How to act: Try to gain control at any cost.
Robert Langdon, The Da Vinci Code
- What to wear: A black button-down and a dark gray suit. We suggest you start growing your hair out now.
- How to act: Ramble about symbols and hidden connections to your friends.
Paul Edgecomb, The Green Mile
- What to wear: All you need for this costume is an officer's uniform.
- How to act: Talk long and slow in a Southern accent.
- What to wear: A white bedazzled suit with a matching bow tie.
- How to act: Like a little kid trapped in a grown-up's body.
Walter Fielding Jr., The Money Pit
- What to wear: A maroon t-shirt with holes and khaki shorts. Rub dirt all over your face.
- How to act: Delirious.
Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, Sully
- What to wear: Other than spraying your hair gray, you'll need a pilot's uniform and a fake mustache. You should also don a wings lapel pin.
- How to act: Like your head is in the clouds. Stare off into the distance when people are talking to you.
Viktor Navorski, The Terminal
- What to wear: A brown suit, a matching tie, and an off-white button-down. Carry around a brown suitcase.
- How to act: Fake a Russian accent.
Jim Lovell, Apollo 13
- What to wear: Grab a white astronaut costume and you're good to go.
- How to act: Cool under pressure. Help your friends get home safely at the end of the night.
Det. Pep Streebeck, Dragnet
- What to wear: A gray suit, a light blue button-down, and a gray skinny tie.
- How to act: You're a bit of a smart-aleck, but you're also incredibly street smart.
Allen Bauer, Splash
- What to wear: A navy suit, an undone tie, and an unbuttoned white shirt. Roll around in some sand before you head out.
- How to act: Talk about your love of mermaids.
Mr. White, That Thing You Do!
- What to wear: A black suit, a white button-down, and a pair of black sunglasses.
- How to act: Like you mean business. Cross your arms for extra effect.
Kip Wilson, Bosom Buddies
- What to wear: A brown suit, a white collared shirt, and a maroon t-shirt underneath. You should also invest in a brown curly wig.
- How to act: Like you're hiding a secret.