This Fast-Paced 20-Minute CrossFit Workout Will Leave You Breathless and Sore as Hell
Since you only need a pair of dumbbells, this is the perfect workout to do at home when you want to get in an intense workout that targets every part of your body and will leave you sore tomorrow. This workout gets right into it, and within the first few minutes, you'll feel your blood flowing and your breathing getting heavy.
This 20-minute CrossFit workout is an AMRAP, which means "as many rounds as possible." So set the timer for 20 minutes and don't stop until the time is up! Jade Jenny, head CrossFit coach and owner of Champlain Valley CrossFit, says AMRAP workouts are meant to push your pace, to be competitive with yourself, and to see how many rounds you can get. Complete this workout, write down how many rounds you get through in your fitness journal, and the next time you do it, see if you can get in more reps!
20-Minute Home CrossFit Workout
Equipment needed: Pair of medium-weight dumbbells (six to 20 pounds). Have two sets on hand so you can use the heavier pair for the exercises that are easier.
Directions: After a five-minute dynamic warmup, complete the below AMRAP workout until 20 minutes are up, with no rest in between exercises. Aim to get at least eight rounds. If you need more details on each exercise, see the instructions ahead.
20-Minute CrossFit AMRAP Workout
- 20 air squats
- 10 planks with dumbbell row
- 5 burpees
- 10 push presses
- 20 mountain climbers
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than your shoulders, feet parallel or toes slightly turned out.
- Bend your knees, lowering your hips deeply. Bring your thighs parallel to the floor and bend the elbows, keeping weight back in your heels.
- Rise back up, straightening the legs completely, squeezing the glutes at the top of the movement to get the most out of the exercise.
- This counts as one rep.
- Do 20 squats.
Plank Dumbbell Row
- Start in a plank position with your legs wider than hip-width distance; the wider stance makes you more stable. Hold onto your dumbbells, keeping your wrist locked to protect the joint.
- With your core tight and your glutes engaged, exhale, stabilizing your torso as you lift your right elbow to row; feel your right scapula sliding toward your spine as you bend your elbow up toward the ceiling.
- Keeping your neck long and energized, return the weight to the ground.
- Complete 10 reps total (five per side).
- Lower into a crouching squat with your hands on the floor.
- Do a squat thrust by jumping your feet back into a plank position.
- Do one basic push-up, bending the elbows and then straightening back to a plank.
- Jump the feet forward to the hands, and come into a squat.
- Do an explosive jump straight up, getting as much height as you can.
- Do five burpees.
Dumbbell Push Press (Overhead Shoulder Press)
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand just above the shoulders, palms facing in.
- Straighten the arms above you.
- Bend the elbows coming back to the starting position to complete one rep.
- Do 10 presses.
- Start in plank with your shoulders over your hands.
- With your core engaged, bring your left knee forward toward your chest. Switch legs, bringing the right knee forward while moving the left leg back. This completes one rep.
- Keep switching legs and begin to pick up the pace until it feels a little like running in place in a plank position.
- Complete 20 reps.