If you frequently munch on energy bars, you should check you pantry to make sure you discard these popular snacks.
The FDA recently announced a voluntary recall of Clif Bar Nuts & Seeds Energy Bars due to possible listeria contamination. The recall, which affects three popular flavors, comes as a result of SunOpta's announcement of potentially harmful goods earlier this year. Symptoms of listeriosis usually begin with diarrhea or other tummy troubles, and patients soon develop a fever and body aches. Those at high risk may also develop a headache, stiff neck, mental confusion, loss of balance, and convulsions, which can be signs of fatal meningitis or encephalitis.
Clif Bar & Company is not the only snack brand affected by the listeria scare. Kashi has also recently issued a voluntary recall of its trail mix and granola bar products, along with General Mills, which issued a warning for select Nature Valley products. SunOpta supplies sunflower seeds for use to all three of the brands.
The list of flavors being recalled include the following:
- Clif Bar Nuts & Seeds energy bar with "best by" date range starting June 8, 2016, through Jan. 21, 2017
- Clif Bar Sierra Trail Mix energy bar with "best by" date range starting June 5, 2016, through March 24, 2017
- Clif Mojo Mountain Mix trail mix with "best by" date range starting June 16, 2016, through Feb. 2, 2017
- Kashi Trail Mix Chewy Granola Bars (UPC Code/ 1862703000)
- Bear Naked Soft Baked Granola, Cinnamon + Sunflower Butter (UPC Code/ 8462310173)
- Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar — Honey, Peanut, and Almond with Pumkin Seeds (UPC Code/ 000-16000-47196)
- Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar — Peanut, Almond and Dark Chocolate (UPC Code/ 000-16000-45724)
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar — Almond, Cashew and Sea Salt (UPC Code/ 000-16000-41301)
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar — Roasted Peanut and Honey (UPC Code/ 000-16000-46475)
- Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars — Chocolate Nut Medley (UPC code 30000 32241 and "best before" dates before 11/15/16)
- Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars — Yogurt, Fruit & Nut (UPC 30000 32243 and "best before" dates before 11/15/16)
While there have been no reported illnesses tied to the recent recalls, Clif Bar, Kashi, and General Mills urge consumers to check their pantries for potentially harmful products and discard them immediately. Practice even more caution by considering whipping up your own protein bars at home.