Often we reach for coffee, sports drinks, or even (yuck) energy drinks to help us make it to that after-work HIIT training class. But before you gulp down a sugary or heart-racing formula, try a more natural option: a beet-infused, homemade juice. Madeleine Murphy, the co-founder of Montauk Juice Factory (a chic Hamptons juice shop in New York), whipped up this zesty concoction. It will ensure you get through even the toughest cardio or strength classes and still have enough fuel left for evening cocktails with your crew (Madeleine notes that it's also a great preparty drink). It's not magic — just a savvy way to combine ingredients to increase blood flow and deliver a crazy amount of sustainable energy. Plus, the spicy kick of jalapeño provides a powerful metabolism boost! So lace up your sneakers, plug in your blender, and keep reading!
- Beet: Thanks to its excellent source of nitrates, this root vegetable is an athlete's best friend. Nitrates help muscles use oxygen more efficiently, increase blood flow through the body, and improve endurance and stamina. The overall result? Your body responds better to exercise.
- Cucumber: This naturally hydrating veggie is rich in vitamin A (a powerful antioxidant) and vitamin K. Since it is very high in water, it also helps flush out toxins.
- Pineapple: The enzyme bromelain makes pineapple a natural inflammation fighter. Bromelain helps prevent muscle soreness and sports-related injuries. It also contains high concentrations of the all-important but often under-consumed manganese, a mineral that is beneficial for blood sugar control.
- Parsnip: Insiders consider this root to be the unsung hero of the juicing world. First, it's great for your skin due to a rich content of folic acid, potassium, and vitamin C. Parsnip has also been associated with improving lung function and is beneficial to those who are trying to improve their cardiovascular stamina.
- Jalapeño: These hot little guys are packed with vitamin C and aid in healthy tissue repair, boost your immunity, and fight the effects of aging. Bonus: they are chock-full of the phytochemical capsaicin, which has been known to seriously rev your fat-burning potential by increasing your metabolism.
If you like it seriously hot, then add the whole jalapeño pepper. This will increase your dose of capsaicin and further boost the benefits to your metabolism.
- 1 organic large beet, with the leaves on
1 organic cucumber
1 organic medium parsnip
1 cup organic pineapple
1/2 organic jalapeño (optional)
Wash all ingredients, pat them dry, and run them through your juicer. Juice the parsnip and beet in between the higher-water-content ingredients like cucumber and pineapple. Drink immediately and enjoy!
- Drinks, Smoothies
- North American
- 1 serving
- Total Time
- 4 minutes, 59 seconds