If you are craving fries but don't want to feel guilty for eating all that grease, try these avocado fries from our friends at PaleoHacks. They're super easy, too!
These Baked Avocado Fries are light, healthy, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and . . . totally scrumptious. Now that you've tried sweet potato fries and parsnip fries, it's time to give these avocado fries a go!
This recipe is especially handy when you have an extra avocado laying around and don't feel like making guacamole (again). The coconut gives a delicate crunchy texture to the bite, the avocado is wonderfully creamy, and the garlic complements the whole ensemble.
- 1 large avocado, ripe
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1/2 tablespoon of flaxseed, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place a rack on the middle shelf.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil or a non-stick reusable baking sheet and set aside.
- Add the flaxseed and 1 1/2 tablespoons water to a bowl, mix together and place in a fridge.
- Slice the avocado in half, and remove the pit. Cut each half into 4 or 5 slices, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine arrowroot powder and half of the seasonings (garlic, onion, smoked paprika and black pepper).
- Remove the flax and water mix from the fridge.
- In a second bowl combine the flax and water mix with 1/2 tablespoon water.
- In a third bowl combine the shredded coconut and the remaining half of the seasonings.
- Start with one avocado slice at a time. Dip an avocado slice in the arrowroot mix, then in the flaxseed mix, and then coat in the coconut mix.
- Place the coated avocado on the lined baking tray. Repeat this process for the remaining avocado slices.
- Bake in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, this is dependent on your type of oven. Check after 5 minutes. If the coconut is very lightly golden in some places and the avocado slices don't feel "soggy" then they are ready. If not, cook for a few extra minutes and keep checking until cooked.
- Once ready, serve and enjoy! If you fancy a dip try this Easy Tomato Ketchup.
- Side Dishes
- North American
- 1 to 2 servings
- Total Time
- 9 minutes, 59 seconds