Stay in keto and eat your dessert too with these crave-worthy Orange Cardamom Keto Muffins, via PaleoHacks.
Most store-bought muffins are full of processed flours, unhealthy fats, and heaps of refined sugars. As delicious as conventional muffins may be, they often result in sugar crashes and are especially dangerous for people with diabetes. To keep things healthy and low-carb, these muffins are made with gluten-free almond flour and lightly spiced with aromatic cardamom.
The glaze is a simple mix of coconut butter, coconut oil, and stevia. You can either buy coconut butter at your local health food store or make your own coconut butter at home (it's easy!) Tip: If you're not on a keto diet, feel free to sweeten the glaze with honey instead of stevia.
To make the muffins, start by whisking together the eggs, orange juice, and orange zest. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and gradually stir them into the wet ingredients. Stir in the melted coconut oil until fully combined. Tip: It's best to add the coconut oil last so that it stays melted.
Next, fill six muffin tins with the mixture, leaving a little bit of room at the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and remove the muffins from the oven. Let them cool for 10 minutes and drizzle the coconut glaze on top. If saving for later, store the muffins in a cool, dry spot.
Enjoy these muffins as an on-the-go breakfast or a midday snack!
- For the muffins:
2 cups blanched almond flour
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tbsp. orange zest
2 tsp. stevia powder
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
For the glaze:
1/4 cup coconut butter
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tbsp. stevia powder
- For the muffins: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line six muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, orange juice, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, cardamom, stevia, and sea salt. Gradually stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture to form a batter, and stir in the coconut oil until fully combined.
- Scoop a 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- For the glaze: Melt the coconut butter and the coconut oil using a double boiler. Stir until smooth and remove from the heat, then mix in the stevia. Drizzle over the cooled muffins and enjoy!
- North American
- 6 muffins
- Total Time
- 39 minutes, 59 seconds