Salads are the comfort food of Summer, and if you're bored with your usual bowl, mix things up by serving yours in a watermelon. Filled with shredded romaine, cucumbers, sweet yellow peppers, and even sweeter cubed watermelon as well as cherry tomatoes (straight from your garden!), this huge salad is juicy, light, and refreshing and just over 300 calories.
If you're watching your weight, this salad is especially awesome since its high water content will fill you up, and since each serving offers over 21 grams of protein, you'll stay satisfied for longer.
Since watermelon sizes vary so much, you may have leftover salad, so just fill up the bowl as much as you can and add more once the bowl is empty. Save any leftover watermelon cubes in the fridge, and you can make this watermelon smoothie.
- For the tofu:
- 1 container extrafirm tofu (14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- For the salad:
- 1 small watermelon, cut in half with flesh removed and cubed (save 2 cups for the salad, 1 cup for the dressing)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 European cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup cubed watermelon (reserved as mentioned above)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Prepare the tofu by pressing the block to remove the excess liquid.
- Cut tofu into thin strips and place them in a glass container. Add the tamari, ginger, and garlic. Gently stir to cover every piece of tofu. Cover and place it in the fridge to marinate.
- In a blender, puree the reserved 1 cup of watermelon, fresh mint, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt until it's liquified. Set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the shredded lettuce, diced cucumbers, halved cherry tomatoes, diced yellow pepper, and 2 cups of cubed watermelon.
- Fill each watermelon bowl halfway with salad, add some tofu, add more salad, pour on half the dressing, and then add more tofu. Sprinkle with pine nuts and enjoy!
Source: Calorie Count
- Salads, Main Dishes
- North American
- 2 servings
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Calories per serving