When you are affirming something, you are declaring it to be true. A simple positive affirmation can work as a proactive defense against any negative and hurtful thoughts you might have about yourself. Choose one of the following affirmations below from author and speaker Louise Hay's power thought cards ($16); I keep these on my desk at work and pull one out whenever I'm having a tough day or find myself in need of a little inspiration.
- I am willing to let go. "I release others to experience whatever is meaningful to them, and I am free to create that which is meaningful to me."
- I listen with love to my body's messages. "My body is always working towards optimum health. My body wants to be whole and healthy. I cooperate and become healthy, whole, and complete."
- I release all criticism. "I only give out that which I wish to receive in return. My love and acceptance of others is mirrored to me in every moment."
- I accept my uniqueness. "There is no competition and no comparison, for we are all different and meant to be that way. I am special and wonderful. I love myself."
- I love and approve of myself. "I appreciate all that I do. I am good enough just as I am. I speak up for myself. I ask for what I want. I claim my power."
Now comes the fun part: head to the mirror, look directly into your own eyes, and say your affirmation out loud. Every time you pass your reflection in the mirror to check yourself out or pick yourself apart, repeat your affirmation to yourself out loud again. If this sounds a little out of the ordinary, don't be alarmed; it will probably feel a little rocky the first time you do it. But even if you're tempted to skip out on this challenge, I encourage you to stick with it for one whole day. I've found that repeating positive affirmations helps me let go of the small stuff and focus on all the good in my life.
One day of affirmations can be beneficial, but if you start making this a consistent practice in your life, you'll start seeing yourself every day with much more loving and accepting eyes. I cannot recommend it enough.
Learn more about the Love Your Body action plan here. It's time to be kind to yourself.