Before you get out the carving knife, grab your pumpkin for this 10-move workout from AFAA-certified personal trainer and fitness model Danielle Pascente, who you may recognize from POPSUGAR Fitness Instagram Live workouts. She crafted this Halloween-inspired workout to target your entire body, and even though she's smiling in the video, this workout looks intense!
Pascente recommends using a 10- to 15-pound pumpkin and to "do the 'pumpkin test'" before you begin. Make sure the pumpkin can sit flat on the ground without wobbling. Don't use a superbumpy, unstable pumpkin or one with any soft areas. For the kettlebell swings, if you don't have a curled handle or one that's easy to grip, follow the modification shown in the video. She also said, "Don't carve the pumpkin before you do the workout. Unless you want to face plant when it caves in on you."
If you don't have a pumpkin, Pascente said to grab a dumbbell or medicine ball instead. Complete the number of rounds suggested ahead based on your fitness level. If you complete three rounds, it'll take you 40 minutes.
Pumpkin Workout From Danielle Pascente
Directions: After a five-minute warmup, perform each exercise for 60 seconds, with a 15-second rest between exercises. Complete one to four rounds (one round for beginners, three to four rounds for those more advanced), and take a one-minute rest between rounds. If the exercise should be done on both sides of the body, switch sides at 30 seconds. Cool down with this 10-minute stretching routine.
- Burpee jumping jack: 60 seconds
- Offset push-up to shoulder tap: 30 seconds per side
- Squat to tricep extension: 60 seconds
- Static-lunge hold shoulder press: 30 seconds per side
- Squat toss: 60 seconds
- Single-leg deadlift row: 30 seconds per side
- Quick feet to broad jump: 60 seconds
- Decline push-up to toe tap: 60 seconds
- Russian-twist toss: 60 seconds
- Kettlebell swing (modification shown without stem in the video): 60 seconds