We Sniffed 45 Fall Candles Under $50, and These Are the Best
Picture the Fall season in your mind's eye. Did you think of changing leaves, warm blankets, or maybe Halloween? Odds are, candles popped up somewhere in your autumnal fantasy, because something about cozy nights spent burning candles and watching movies perfectly captures the season. We think of candles during Fall, too, which is why we asked a variety of companies to send us their best seasonal offerings for the ultimate Autumn-candle sniff-athon.
Dozens of shipments and countless editor reviews later, 45 scents reigned supreme when put to the POPSUGAR test. Here are our honest reviews of Fall candles under $50, so that you don't have to spend hours in the candle aisle . . . unless you want to. (We don't judge!)
Illume Woodfire ($24) with notes of seductive cedarwood and smoke accords, mixed with heady patchouli leaves and warm vanilla.
- "One of my all-time favorites. I buy this scent in bulk every Winter."
- "Aw, it smells like a fireplace! Perfect for Fall and Winter."
- "MMMMM! It's the perfect smoky scent."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) Bath & Body Works: Flannel
Bath & Body Works Flannel ($23) with notes of autumn air, bergamot, mahogany, and soft musk.
- "Cozy, makes me excited to cuddle."
- "Really does smell like a flannel . . . a clean one, that is."
- "Sweet twist on Fall, I kinda like it."
Malin + Goetz: Neroli
Malin + Goetz Neroli ($16) with notes of bitter orange and lemon, neroli, orange blossom, petitgrain, iris and musk.
- "Love the orange scent, but more for Summer."
- "So light and fresh, I would burn this year-round!"
- "Woah! So pretty, sweet, and sophisticated."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) Paddywax: Tobacco & Moss
Paddywax Tobacco and Moss ($20) with notes of rich tobacco and wild moss.
- "Love! Reminds me of being outdoors."
- "Makes me want to go camping in Lake Tahoe ASAP."
- "I feel like I would like this more if it were just tobacco or just moss."
P.F. Candle Co: Orange Cardamom
P.F. Candle Co Orange Cardamom ($18) with notes of citrus and black tea spiced with ginger, peppercorn, clove, and cardamom.
- "Smells like spending the holidays with a cute boy."
- "Reminds me of those decorating oranges [pomanders] during the holidays."
- "Clove scent is too strong for everyday, but it's great for holiday parties."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) Falling Into Place: Sweet Wilderness
Falling Into Place Sweet Wilderness ($24) with notes of plum, spruce, grapefruit, mandarin, cinnamon, and clove.
- "Smells like Christmas morning."
- "LOVE — this is so sweet and unique!"
- "If citrus and Christmas had a baby, it would be this candle. Not super autumnal, but delightful anyway."
Bath & Body Works: Mahogany Teakwood
Bath & Body Works Mahogany Teakwood ($23) with notes of mahogany, oak, and frosted lavender.
- "Fresh and a bit masculine. I love it!"
- "Smells like a man's cologne. Yum, super sexy."
- "I'm detecting a touch of hot lumberjack."
Paddywax: Bergamot & Mahogany
Paddywax Bergamot and Mahogany ($37 in large copper jar) with notes of bergamot and rich wood.
- "Reminds me of holidays with family."
- "Very light, almost like baby powder."
- "Love the lightness of this scent, could be pretty to use lots of these as a centerpiece."
Yankee Candle: Vanilla Cardamom
Yankee Vanilla Cardamom ($28) with notes of warm vanilla and cardamom, with a swirl of sugar and cream.
- "Smells like snickerdoodles are baking."
- "Too sweet for me, but I like the wood wick."
- "Yum. I'm really into sweet candles and this is yummy with the cardamom."
Soap & Paper Farmacie: Red Rose & Saffron
Soap & Paper Co. Farmacie Red Rose & Saffron candle ($25) with notes of roses, saffron, and tonka bean.
- "I like this because it's nontraditional for Fall. I really feel like you could burn it all year."
- "The balance of spice and floral is really interesting."
- "BRB, buying this for my mom's birthday! She'd love it."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) Jonathan Adler: Bourbon Pop
Jonathan Adler Bourbon Pop ($42) with notes of davana, cognac, plum, leather accord, birch tree, and cedarwood.
- "This candle is GORGEOUS and smells like my dream bar cart."
- "Love this! 12/10 would burn, and save the votive forever."
- "Delicious — I really like it. Manly but not too much for my apartment."
Bath & Body Works: Cinnamon Sugared Doughnut
Bath & Body Works Cinnamon Sugared Doughnut ($23) with notes of crushed cinnamon, sugar crystals, and homemade doughnuts.
- "I want to eat this, but the scent might be too much for my small apartment."
- "It smells a bit like boxed cake mix; I'm getting tons of sweetness and spice."
- "Reminds me of a cinnamon sugar cookie more than a donut."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) Linnea's Lights: French Pear
Linnea's Lights French Pear ($34) with notes of Anjou pear, green apple, and honey.
- "Smells just like pear, but with some spice."
- "My favorite of the bunch! It's tart and relaxing and Fall-y, but not too sweet."
- "Very Fall, smells like a visit to the farm."
Falling Into Place: Black Currant Tea
Falling Into Place Black Currant Tea ($24) with notes of currant, white tea, and enchanting floral overtones.
- "Smells like a Hogwarts common room."
- "Love it! Mild and sweet. "
- "Mild scent, doesn't remind me of tea — a little like vanilla."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) Rituals: Holy Smoke
Rituals Holy Smoke ($45) with notes of smoky rosewood.
- "Holy smokes! (Sorry, I had to say it.)"
- "Obsessed with this! It's like a very chic campfire; this is perfect for someone who isn't lucky enough to have a real fireplace."
- "It's like the scent of fancy clothes after glamping."
Sabon: Sweet Vanilla
Sabon Sweet Vanilla ($30) with notes of romantic French vanilla and decorated with a hint of cinnamon.
- "Surprisingly subtle for a vanilla candle! Enjoyed this."
- "It's gonna be a no from me; too subtle."
- "In the nicest way possible, this makes me want to visit my grandma."
Bath & Body Works: Sweater Weather
Bath & Body Works Sweater Weather ($23) with notes of sage, juniper berry, eucalyptus, and fresh woods.
- "Not very Fall, but into it. Good for when the weather is too cold and you need a pick-me-up."
- "Why is it blue?"
- "Fresh, but not really Fall-smelling."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) Illume: Santal Fig
Illume Santal Fig ($24) with notes of sweet fig, Persian Galbanum, milky-white flowers, and creamy coconut with a lightheartedness of sandalwood and earthy amber.
- "Love this. Kind of smells like men's cologne."
- "I like this! Reminds me of holiday shopping."
- "This one smells the most 'Fall' to me so far."
The 125 Collection: Well Groomed
The 125 Collection Well Groomed ($32) with notes of earthy woods and men's cologne.
- "Clean, great to light during bathtime."
- "I was instantly drawn to the packaging of this one, and the scent is just as good; clean and fresh."
- "Smells like Axe deodorant, but I like it!"
Clean Home Fragrances: White Woods
Clean White Woods ($30) with notes of crisp bergamot leaves, sparkling mandarin, creamy-vanilla orchid, sandalwood, praline musks, and a dash of black pepper.
- "I can barely smell it, but it kinda smells soapy?"
- "Smells like someone went running in the woods."
- "Soft scent, very clean and mild."
Illume: Blackberry Absinthe
Illume Blackberry Absinthe ($20 from High Fashion Home) with notes of blackberries, sweet orange, and green leaves with crimson rose, Egyptian jasmine petals, peppery anise, black sandalwood, liquid amber, and earthy patchouli.
- "Unique scent; very 'chic city girl' to me."
- "I like this because it's very subtle."
- "Packaging is fierce, and the scent is very light and unique."
Bath & Body Works: Honeycrisp Apple
Bath & Body Works Honeycrisp Apple ($23) with notes of golden honeycrisp, apple blossoms, and fresh sugarcane.
- "Smells like red apples and earth."
- "Too strong!"
- "Very apple-y; perfect if you want a single scent from a candle."
Molton Brown: Coco & Sandalwood
Molton Brown Coco and Sandalwood ($49) with notes of Filipino coconut, jasmine, and sandalwood.
- "Smells like a hot towel in first class on an airplane."
- "Good candle to burn while taking a bath!"
- "Not too strong, smells super fresh."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) P.F. Candle Co: Frankincense & Oud
P.F. Candle Co Frankincense & Oud ($18) with notes of frankincense and resinous oud, complimented by notes of fir, patchouli, and juniper.
- "Very nice! Smells like a forest."
- "Spicy, great for Thanksgiving time."
- "Love that this one is subtle and not too feminine! AKA my boyfriend would approve."
Bath & Body Works: Warm Apple Pie
Bath & Body Works Warm Apple Pie ($23) with notes of baked Granny Smith apple, melted brown sugar, and flaky, homemade crust.
- "Smells exactly like apple pie, it's uncanny."
- "Yes to the smell, but not to the name — it reminds me of American Pie."
- "I get more vanilla sugar cookie than apple pie."
Illume: Pumpkin Peppercorn
Illume Pumpkin Peppercorn ($22) with notes of decadent pumpkin, sweet peppercorn, roasted cinnamon bark, a twist of tangy citrus peel, earthen oak, molten amber, and black vanilla bean garnished with a touch of smoked chestnut.
- "Smells delicious! I want to eat it."
- "Reminds me of Halloween and Fall, very pumpkin-y."
- "Like a pumpkin pie treat, but for my nose."
Jonathan Adler: Absinthe Pop
Jonathan Adler Absinthe Pop ($42) with notes of anise, eucalyptus, fennel, and patchouli..
- "Like a spa, yes please."
- "Yesss. Totally captures the smell of absinthe. Smells like a delicious cocktail on a Friday night!"
- "Kind of a cool black licorice thing, but not sure I want to burn it."
(POPSUGAR Favorite!) Malin + Goetz: Cannabis
Malin + Goetz Cannabis ($16) with notes of fresh lemon, orange, fig, pepper, oakmoss, sandalwood, and amber-patchouli.
- "Smells manly, like men's aftershave."
- "Clean and not too powerful, perfect for a kitchen."
- "I was pleasantly surprised by this one . . . it's kind of sexy?"
Jonathan Adler: Earl Grey Pop
Jonathan Adler Earl Grey Pop ($38) with notes of black tea leaves, citrus, yuzu, jasmine, earl grey, and sandalwood.
- "Surprisingly pleasant and light, but a little sweet."
- "Very subtle but I'm into it! I want to take a bubble bath and drink a pumpkin beer with this burning."
- "I like the scent but I wish it was stronger. My nose was searching for more!"
Paddywax: Vanilla Bean & Cinnamon
Paddywax Vanilla Bean and Cinnamon ($18) with notes of sweet vanilla and spicy cinnamon.
- "Definitely reminds me of Christmas, not Fall."
- "I've smelled the scents in this candle so many times that I feel like it should be in the dictionary under 'Fall Candle.'"
- "Time to bake cookies!"
Rituals Incense ($45) with notes of the smoky incense is used in religious ceremonies, traditional purification, aromatherapy, and meditation.
- "Makes me think of church. Guess I'm going to heaven!"
- "Wow! SO striking and luxe."
- "I feel like I'd rather just burn incense?"
Falling Into Place: Vanilla Amber
Falling Into Place Vanilla Amber ($24) with notes of vanilla, musk, sandalwood, jasmine, lavender, and orange.
- "I would only burn this one on occasion, but I like it."
- "Sweet, mild, and great for year-round."
- "Very sweet, almost like root beer."
P.F. Candle Co: Spruce
P.F. Candle Co Spruce ($18) with notes of forest, blue spruce, and cedar.
- "I love the soft pine smell, it's not overwhelming."
- "Very faint and pleasant."
- "This is the candle I'd burn during the holidays to make up for the fact that I have a fake tree."
Paddywax: Wild Fig & Cedar
Paddywax Wild Fig and Cedar ($20 in an enamel camp cup) with notes of figs and alpine cedar.
- "Yes! It almost smells like gardenia. I picture this scent in a Pinterest home."
- "Smells like a sophisticated woman who married a rich businessman that is never home."
- "Almost smells floral, not super autumnal but very nice."